Working in the rain

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tim Baden, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Tim Baden

Tim Baden LawnSite Member

Just wondering how many of you mow in the rain? Talking about a good steady rain.I don't myself unless in the middle of a lawn.Saw a mowing crew working in a thunder storm one time.Not to smart.

2. Plowguy99

Plowguy99 LawnSite Member
    from MI

Well, it is raining now (damn Michigan weather) and I am sitting here. I don't have quite as many accounts as I would like, so I have a little bit of make-up time at the end of the week for days like today.

3. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

Well, if your in the middle of a lawn, and the rain is light with no lightning, I would finish. If it is a thunderstorm with lightning, I personally feel it is not smart to be out acting like a lightning rod. JD

4. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

I only mow in the rain when I'm using my Toro Proline. The deck on that thing is so good that you can mow in the rain, but only when I have to finish the lawn.

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

long as theres no lightening..i got a slicker and need a shower every week anyway.:D

6. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

I feel lost on a day like today here in wisconsin when i cant mow. Did some maintenance on the machines over the weekend so today is a vaccation day. Ive mowed in wet/damp conditions and i dont like how the lawn looks afterwards because the clumps that are left behind on the lawn, now i have put doubles on the Scag but havent tried it in wet grass yet. Morning dew isnt so bad since it eventually evaporates during the day, but like today when it is so damp out nothing dries up so everything is wet. Plus the decks gets clogged up which means i have to clean them out before i cut the next day.
    Also i do have some time to fill in the rest of the week if i dont get at the lawns today. Rather cut when the grass is dry and the ground is dry so i dont leave any ruts in the lawn.
    Ive worked at a golf course and cut grass in the rain and in thunderstorms, just gotta watch it on how close the lighting is and go for cover, but working in the rain on a cold day isnt fun.
    Matt

7. CLM1103

CLM1103 LawnSite Member

We live in the "lightning capital of the nation" so when the thunder is heard we head for the house. If no lightning, I just keep on working.

8. ADMowing

ADMowing LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Same here.... if there is thunder and/or lightning, we head for home. It isn't worth the risk. Lots of deaths by lightning down here. It is very scary!!! Otherwise, we mow to finish but don't like the way lawn looks -- can't blow it off etc..... So, we don't go out if it is raining.

9. dogger

dogger LawnSite Member

we always work in the rain, within reason of course. We have so much work we can barely keep up with perfect weather. You get so used to the rain that you don't even seem to notice after awhile.

10. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

What's rain???? Haven't seen any in three weeks. Feel like Pig Pen from the Peanuts. Big cloud of dust around me while I'm mowing!!!

LAWNS AND MOWER