Working near another landscaper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lynden-Jeff, Jun 22, 2007.

Would you work at the property or come back

1. Done it anyway.

2. Come back.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Im wondering if I am right or wrong in this situation. We pulled up to our customers house today and found 3 dump trucks from another landscaper at his house. Now they were putting in a patio however I have always had a policy of not working at the same job as a another landscaper, I find it to much of a conflict of interest, not to mention I dont want anyone in the area when im mowing/trimming let alone working 10 feet away. Am I in the wrong here?

2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I'd just completely skip the area they are working in. If they're doing a big job, you might have to skip it for weeks if you didn't mow while they are there.
  3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Were their tools on the lawn? If not, then we would have cut.
    And if their tools were on the lawn, we would have cut around that area, and cut everything else that we could.
    How is it a conflict of interest? Do you install patios?
    Otherwise if you didn't cut, when will you go back? Will the customer be billed for this wasted visit, or will you have to drive back there next week to do double the work if the grass is growing heavy in your area?
  4. sooner74

sooner74 LawnSite Member
    from UT

I cut a lawn when a fence company was working on the property. They did their best to stay out of my way and I did my best to stay out of their way. I did most of the waiting as, I one using the equipment that could hurt one of them. They were just finishing up.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We have stuff like that happen to us all the time. We just nod/wave a hello and go about our work is all.
  6. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I've done it before as well. Most of the time we'll introduce ourselves, talk a little about business, and then move on. Basically I work around the area they are in, not cutting in their work area.

It would be an extremely unusual situation to make me come back. I'm not opening that can of worms with any customer if I can help it.:waving:
  7. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

They where doing the patio between the backyard and the front yard so we would have to carry the mower over their construction area, something I am not willing to do for $45. Maybe im wrong but it is just to much of a hassle when another company is their.

Yes we do do patios, which we were not even asked to quote (not a big deal to me) but even still. I would not bill them for this however I am willing to come back tomorow or sunday if they didn't mind to do it when the other company is not cutting. Its already a hastle to carry equiptment down stairs let alone through a big patio project while they are working on it.

8. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

Exact same thing happened to me last week but it wasn't another landscaper (not that I am one). They were building a wooden deck and doing something to the wall. We mowed around, didn't even think about it actually.

Today we did that property and it looks like they mowed the grass that we skipped because it was shorter then the rest.

One time I pulled into a long time customers house to clean her windows. My truck is covered in lettering.. lawn cuts etc. Guy was mowing the lawn, he had no decals on his truck at all, turns out he's a fireman with about 20 lawns. Me and the home owner laughed about it.
  9. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

I once arrived at a lawn where another company was already mowing. I mowed right behind them and they questioned me... I said go ahead and finish, she didn't cancel either one of us. We will both have to charge her. Well the customer ended up paying us both. I got dropped because his price was lower. Figures.
  10. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

Well that's just silly..

you should have waited till they were done and then put YOUR bill in her Mailbox.

Put on your thinking cap next time.

But I know this stuff happens because some companys (especially fert co.) have auto renewal at the beginning of the next season.