1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Working on a 41* slope...

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by mrusk, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

Could you knotch out a spot in the hill and put a long boom excavator midway and work like that? just thinking of other options
  2. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

is it detrimental to run the motor on a slope like that for an extended period of time. I thought I remember reading in my Cummins book not to exceed a certain slope or the engine would not get the proper lubrication.. ?
  3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

2:1 is as much as I would want to sit and consistently work on. I've dove/climbed some short 1.5:1's, 10-15' shots a couple times but not sitting and working, just traveling through and that's enough for my liking.
  4. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Its not like i would be digging all day. We are putting in about 50 steps going down the hill. There will be 4 steps in a row and then a 5' walkway, then the next set of steps. Theres very little digging. The machine will spent more time just setting the stairs then digging.
  5. zabmasonry

zabmasonry LawnSite Senior Member
    from C. VT

Then its not a 45 degree (1 to 1) slope, as you wouldn't have any room for a walkway, by definition your rise vs. run would have to be equal with no break. Sounds like it may be closer to a 45% slope (roughly a 20 degree slope) or 3:1.
    which you should be fine on.