Working on Holidays???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Freddy_Kruger, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

Just Mowing says they work on holidays so I was wondering if there was a way to go about getting people to work on holidays without paying time and a half?

Or, do they just eat the cost?

2. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been doing this fore a little while ... n As far as I know no law requires an employer to pay a premium for working on any holiday or to provide paid holidays off, ....

That's a government or state deal ... major corps do it so to keep the people happy

WHAT you CAN"T do is discriminate .... such as

If I chooses to pay .... I must do so in a way that is consistent with discrimination laws.

It would be legal to pay some employees and not others if it were based on department, length of tenure with the company, full or part time status, hourly or salary, or any other non-protected characteristic.

But it is NOT legal for me to decide who does and does not get holiday pay on the basis of national origin, color, sex or race

What I do is opt to work the day n not make it up on Saturday .... we ONLY do Commercial work on Holiday .... this one reason I only cut Commercial on Monday's .... the parking lots are less full n less people around in general