Working On/In Your Business

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LLCO, Oct 23, 2004.

1. LLCO

LLCO LawnSite Member

I guess this is sort of like a poll..

As an owner, what percentage of your time do you spend working on your business (marketing, sales, development, etc) vs. in your business (running the mowers, skid loader, billing, etc.)

It would also be interesting to see in your response how many employees you have in the business.

Thanks in advance..

2. lafrance4078

lafrance4078 LawnSite Member

I am a small time solo LCO. I guess I work about 70/30 working in/working on. But with the winter coming and very little snow here in East TN, I will be working on more than in.

3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

After 16 years of fine tuning my operation, working solo, running nothing but new equipment and having 38 commercial accounts that get billed on a flat fee....

I'd run 95% working the business, 5% running the business, only because I consider computer time running the business, and probably 90% of my computer time is looking at this site.

4. The LawnSmith

The LawnSmith LawnSite Member

I work solo and on occasion hire 1 helper. I work about 80% in the business and 20% on the business. I am a part timer, (Some nights and every weekend). I spend about an hour each evening that I did a job(s) to update books and often research lessons learned on this and other websites to build my business. I am toying with the idea of going full time within the next two years, after I have acquired more commercial grade equipment, and would like to hire on a few bubbas. I'm sure that would change my IN and ON figures quite a bit.

Mike

5. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

The business is ran by me and my wife. In the sumer we work out son some too. 11 years old. We spend about 5-10 minutes every night updating what ha been done and needs to be done. At the end of the month we spend about 2 hours invoicing.
    On the job sites we spend probaly about 20-25 hours weekly, that includes windshield time. We do spend more time working on jobs when we have other things to do besides mowing. But that varies from week to week. Sometimes we only have a small pruning job, others we work til dark every night trying to stay caught up.
    I don't spend as much time as I'd like servicing out equipment though.

6. RICHIE K

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

MY WIFE and GRANDMOTHER ( SHE NEEDS SOMETHING TO DO) RUN THE OFFICE AND I TAKE CARE OF THE WORK. :)

RICHIE K

www.kulakandcompany.com :blob3:

7. JustMowIt

JustMowIt LawnSite Senior Member

TJ & I are partners. We work 7 to 7 5 days a week, 36 weeks per year.
    TJ spends 10% in the mornings going over all the special request on the logs with the guys, using 1 driver that is bi-lingual. Another 10% when arriving at my house/office trying yesterdays card declines, calling new declines, answnering overnite voice mails.
    At 5PM, he spends 10% preparing logs for the next day. The other 70% is sitting around the office answnering the phones, answering emails,siging new customers etc.

I start answering the phones at 7AM, spend about 10% of my time reconciling bank statements, working on P&L's, Government forms etc. & the other 90% of my time sitting around the office answering the phones which is siging new customers, customers quiting, request, complaints.

TJ's wife comes in about 4 hours each day to run the cards for the previous day.

Both, do a lot of shop talk during the day as to how we can make it better, & a lot of time on the internet to pass the time.

In the winter, we both spend time in a warm climate. I spend 10% of my time starting new fresh computer databases, tuning the websites, ordering flyers etc. for the next season.

The only employees we have are drivers & helpers. The high season there were 36, & now we are down to 30, & with the finish of week#36 on Nov. 12th, they will all go home to mexico pusuant to their Visa, & we will have no employees until March 9th.
    MJ

8. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you do with customers who call after Nov. 12 to cut their grass? Do you and TJ cut the grass after Nov. 12?

9. JustMowIt

JustMowIt LawnSite Senior Member

Actually, I mis stated that. We arrange for 1 guy through the winter for call ins & just a few that has planted rye grass on their own.
    MJ

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

About 70% out in the field, and 30% on it