Working on mowers...

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by allstar, Apr 18, 2004.

1. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

When working on your mowers(changing blades,cleaning the deck,etc.) what's the best way to gain access to the undersurface?Personally,I just jack up the front end and lie on my back but that's a real pain.Where would you purchase some sort of rack to use for this purpose?Or is this something I could make?Thanks for the help. Jim

2. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

All i do is lock my brakes and tip the mower back and put the cacher under the point of the deck.

3. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

on belt drives I just physically lift up the deck and put a jack stand under the edge of deck and reach under with hand, on the stand on units I have I use a floor jack to jack them up as High as possible and then use the jack stand to support it and do what I gotta do... I have seen some jungle jack thing, not sure what it was called but its' like some sort of fulcrum lever that you hook under deck and pivot and it lifts and supports the deck in the air. Looks pretty simple to use, but havent used one yet...... I have heard some people pull the machine up onto the ramp of the trailer hanging off the edge ?? but I cant do that on my trailer cause there are cables supporting the ramp.....

4. gimpyrobb

gimpyrobb LawnSite Member

I built my mower stand out of pieces of L steel. I made the box just big enough to go inbetween the deck and the wheels, that way if I need to rotate the cutting blade while cleaning things up I have no obstructions.

5. Buzzman

Buzzman LawnSite Member

I use 10 cinder blocks, 2, 2"x8" 8 feet long, the 2x8 ramp I use to load it into the truck, and my creeper... but I'm getting too old and gimpy to physically lift the thing up by myself. :(

6. cbelawn

cbelawn LawnSite Member

I put the front wheels on my car lift and hit the switch and up it goes. then under with the creeper and air wrench..........going into lawn care from auto repair is a hoot.

7. Buzzman

Buzzman LawnSite Member

Sounds good to me... :drinkup:

8. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

If you can afford it and would need it often enough, there is like a small lift for a lawnmower that I saw in the June Power Equipment Trade, it has a website listed as www.ustool.bz and shows a price in the publication of $2,395.00.

Maybe a little pricey..

9. Buzzman

Buzzman LawnSite Member

Wow! That's a nice one, but I can't afford it right now...
    I wonder if ALLSTAR has seen this? Maybe he can?
    Thanks for the link, Beransfixitinc!
    If he's seen this, I'm sure he appreciates it too.

10. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Z-Stand works well for me.