working on shorts

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green boy1, Aug 24, 2006.

1. hughmcjr

hughmcjr LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

The first few times early in the season when you wear shorts when using a weedeater to edge the rocks and debris hurt a bit, but you get used to it and toughen up. If you are doing some serious weedeating for brush etc., and rocks and debris are flying at your legs, long pants are the best way to go.

2. Poncho25

Poncho25 LawnSite Senior Member

Spent 20+ years in kick boxing professionally, so my shins are pretty tough, i wear nothing :) I have a few welts from getting nailed with rocks an what have you, so only when i know I am doing a nasty day i wear jeans, otherwise I suck it up.

3. hughmcjr

hughmcjr LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

Hey that is what I was trying to say, but I like the way you said it better even if they mean the same.

4. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry for jumping on the bandwagon,But most of us are men right?

5. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

Because sometimes I feel like I'm on the Oxygen channels business womens discussion forums.Not a forum for a labor intensive mostly male dominated industry. Sorry guys but man. :cry: :cry: :cry:

6. Bulldog's Lawn Care

Bulldog's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I always wear shorts (high 90 degree temps with well over 100 heat index through most of the summer here.) The first yard I do in the morning stings a little but once I get a good layer of dirt and grass on my shins I am protected the rest of the day (except from sand....boy does it still hurt!)
    If I know I have a nasty cleanup, then I might go with jeans (or try to wait until cooler weather if at all possible!)

Just my 2 cents worth....

Oh, BTW, be careful freeballing.....bouncing around on your mower too much may lead to serious damage......

7. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i just suck it up. my buddy wears shin guards though.

8. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

Exactlly come on MEN! MAN UP! Only when I know theres going to be some really nasty #$%@. Daily trimming never wore anything..SUCK IT UP MEN!!!

9. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I just always wear jeans, and 9" shaft boots. (Desert Army Boots) The heat is no big deal in the jeans, they fit really loose anyway. I just think that 1. Jeans offer better protection. and 2. I think wearing pants and a Collared shirt on a job looks more professional.

We are in business with 2 things to consider with this question. Image and safety. We need to be safe and operate safe to minize injury to ourselves and our crews (due to workers comp premiums) and we have to potray a professional image to the customer. They do not want trashy rag bags on thier lawns cutting grass. Just my .02.

10. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Long Dickies or the like for me. Loose and light.
    When it gets really hot and I know I will sweat a lot I will wear boxer briefs and also Tube Sox (with the toes cut off) on my arms as sweat bands
    I hate shorts on grass in the late day as the bugs start to get active.