Working On Sundays?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by FearThisDeere, Apr 9, 2006.

1. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a potential customer asked me if I worked on Sundays. I told her that seeing that I am still in high school I work mostly Friday through Sunday. She asked me if there was anyway that I could NOT come on Sunday. Well, my Friday and Saturday are pretty filled up with other things right now. I told her I could try not to come on Sundays, but it would have to happen a few times. She said that Sunday was her only day off and she liked to play with her kids outside. She said she didn't want to be bothered with the noise on her one day off. I just got back in the truck and laughed! So, do you guys work on Sundays and had any experience with something like this?:laugh:
  2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Never on Sunday ...
  3. ripple

ripple LawnSite Member

Customer is always right...give em what they goes along way!

Speaking of Sundays I just got done delivering 2 loads of topsoil mixture, one load of mulch, 1 Japanese maple, and I mowed my first lawn of the season. All differnet locations too.
  4. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

7 days a week here, only off if it's raining. and it has to be raining pretty good.
  5. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

never on sundays....
  6. Full throttle lawn care

Full throttle lawn care LawnSite Member

You just should of said your a church boy and you serve the LORD on sundays.:drinkup:
  7. troy03

troy03 LawnSite Member

Never have worked a Sunday yet. A friend of mine has a customer that is Seven Day Adventist so he requests that if work is done on the weekend, that its done on Sunday. This family is VERY wealthy and has a lot of pull in this area, so what they want, they get.
  8. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

We NEVER work on weekends or after 5pm unless its cleared with the customer 1st. I was wondering why you laughed when they asked you not to come on Sunday? You have to realize these people work 5-6 days a week and thier family time is prescious. I would be very unhappy after a long day at work to come home at 5 or 6pm or God forgive at 8pm and here some guy cutting my grass. I have 2 kids and cherish my after work time to relax have dinner with my family , play in the yard without having to stop for 20 minutes or longer while someone is cutting my grass. We tell all our customers that 99% of the time they will rarely see us and thats the way most of them prefer it. They expect to come home and have the lawn all done, just so they can realx out on the patio and barbecue, swim, or paly with htier children. Our field book states if that customer absolutely does not want to be cut after 5pm or sat sun for that reason. If i were you i would pass on that customer if youre in high school, or possibly if youre that busy hire an emloyee, or perhaps cut her after school on friday. Good Luck
  9. oslo

oslo LawnSite Member

I agree. Not after 5pm or on Sundays, ever. Besides disturbing the customer, I value my own family time.
  10. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I used to. I don't anymore unless we are so backed up do to rain. I like to have 1 day a week off anyways. That 7 day a week crap gets old quick.