1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

working on sundays

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AuburnGuy, Jan 20, 2004.

1. AuburnGuy

AuburnGuy LawnSite Senior Member

I do this part time. This year I plan on having 10-15 or so customers this year. Depending on rain, it is possible that i may have to do some lawns on Sunday afternoons. Have any of you run into problems from customers being at their house on Sunday afternoon?
  2. BB36

BB36 LawnSite Member

I don't cut on Sundays; but some lcos I know do and their residentials don't like it.Commercials don't matter one way or the other, they're mostly closed.
  3. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

We sometimes have to cut on Sunday if we get behind due to weather. Our jobs are commercial so it does not matter to them. Long as it gets done.
  4. Kelly & Sons

Kelly & Sons LawnSite Member

Sometimes I work 3-4 hours on Sunday morning, never had any complaints, but... I suppose it might upset some home owners.
  5. iowapride

iowapride LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

In 9 years of business I don't think I've ever cut a residential lawn except for my own. We've done some commercials to get caught up. If I know I'm going to have to work Sunday, I will save the commercials till then just out of respect for the residential customers. If I were them, I wouldn't want a LCO or contractor working on my lawn on a Sunday.
  6. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

I have one commercial site that can only be done on Sunday but they pay 40% more because of Sunday only.
  7. DJL

DJL LawnSite Member

For residentials I try not to cut on Sunday due to the noise. There were a few days this past year I had to b/c of the darn rain. I also do this 'part-time'. However, sometimes I'll do the extra jobs (i.e. mulch, seeding, etc.) on Sunday. But I will ask the homeowner first if it is okay. I haven't had a problem yet. Also, I do my one commercial job on Sunday. This is because I also clean up the parking lot and it is much easier to do without all the cars on the lot. At 9am on Sunday morning there is usually no cars in the lot. Makes my job easier.
  8. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

i have always said i work 6 1/2 days a week, commercials only on sunday if needed..
  9. Qdriver

Qdriver LawnSite Member

O.K.,... I am a new, solo, part time LCO and have not cut the first lawn Yet!

I understand about it being a "Holy Day".

That being said,.. What is wrong with cutting on Sunday?

As a part-timer, Saturday and Sunday Will be the main days I WILL work on.
  10. PLI1

PLI1 LawnSite Senior Member

Commercial jobs only on Sundays. We normally work 6 days a week, but sometimes weather is a factor.