Working on ZTR

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by turfman33, Oct 7, 2003.

1. turfman33

turfman33 LawnSite Member

Whats the best way to jack up a ZTR to get to the underdeck area? Can't put the jack under the deck because of it floating, no solid grounds for jacking. One guys told me to use the ramp on the trailer. He said to pull the ZTR up half on the ramp and work on one side then do the same with the other. What do you guys do keeping safty in mind.

Steve

2. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I use a come-a-long. I lag bolted a heavy duty ring to the garage door header and hook the come-a-long there and wrap the cable around the frame in front and up it goes. I also put jack stands under the deck, just in case.

Gene

4. mower_medic

mower_medic LawnSite Member

I just lift up the deck enough to get a jack under it and then use jackstands once it's up.

5. NCSERVICE

NCSERVICE LawnSite Member

I use a jungle jack, but mowermedic is right you should not have any problem with a regular floor jack.

6. dhenegar

dhenegar LawnSite Member

I use a engine lift and strap it around the forks on my lazer.

7. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

we use the ramp gate as well. There is no chance in it falling or a strap breaking. Just drive the right tire up on the left side and do your thing and then move it to the other side.

8. easycareacres

easycareacres LawnSite Senior Member

i always put a trolley jack under the floating deck, what is wrong with that am i causing damage ? scag

9. NCSERVICE

NCSERVICE LawnSite Member

you cant hurt a scag deck

10. Moguy

Moguy LawnSite Member

I just bought a folding engine hoist for around $120 that lifts a ztr high enough so that I can do repairs or maintenance. Im also in a wheelchair so this may work for me , yet not for everyone. Similar to the hoist shown on this link...
    http://www.affjaxx.com/products/enginecranes.asp