1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Working out of a short bed truck?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by South Florida Lawns, Feb 9, 2009.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I'm currently looking at used diesels and finding a bunch of extended cab 3/4 tons, but not a whole lot of regular cab long bed trucks. Right now I have the 8ft box on my chevy, how much will I hate life working out of a 6ft bed? I mostly put palm trimmings in the back and what not. I don't bag clippings or deal with leaves and I will be getting a 6.5x16 open landscape trailer. I wonder if I can get away with it? I don't want a boat of a truck either if you know what I mean.
  2. Lakewlc

Lakewlc LawnSite Bronze Member

if you getting an open trailer you should be fine.
  3. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I have the 6 1/2 ft bed and hate it. I cant wait to get in another long bed. After you put your tool box in you have no room for anything!
  4. 4.3mudder

4.3mudder LawnSite Silver Member

I have the standard 6 foot bed on my 04 chevy, with a tool box. I guess it is alright. I only haul firewood, and sometimes palm limbs and other misellaneous things. But as stated, if your getting a open trailer, you can put whatver in the extra unused room. If you going to be using the truck for other things like parking in parking lots to go to home depot or walmart without the trailer, the longer the truck is, the harder it is to park and maneuver. But, the longer thr truck is I have noticed, that they are easier to handle on the road, not a whole lot of wandering with the wind and what not.
  5. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

Short beds suck, they especially suck to work out of...
  6. nnj18

nnj18 LawnSite Silver Member

Ryan, its not as bad as I thought it would be and with an open trailer to fill you'll be fine. You can put barrels in it, a few blowers or trimmers if you need to or a 36" wb....
  7. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I still will have the enclosed with me 90% of the time while mowing, I guess if push comes to shove I won't put a tool box on and just build more storage in my trailer.
  8. nnj18

nnj18 LawnSite Silver Member

yahhh, with a tool box you'll be pushing it....
  9. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I have a short bed quad cab....and I love it......it holds my 6 ft dump insert just right

I hate long beds with extended cabs..

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

SFL, both of my trucks are shortbeds with toolboxes in them and they work great for me. I can still fit a ton of stuff back there and it is alot easier to drive around and imo looks better. I think short beds are the way to go.