1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Working past 5-6PM

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jtrice11, Jul 22, 2005.

1. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

Do you guys work past dinner time? Its been my experience that alot of people don't want workers in their yard when they are home or get home from work. We try and get all of our work done during the week and before 6PM.
  2. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly, plus I love it when people are not home. When people are home they might come out and be time burgulars.

IN2MOWING LawnSite Member
    from Zone 6

I try not to but there are some days when I HAVE to and to be honest there are days we get in a groove or on a roll and Ill look up and its 8:00
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

4:30 has been the latest for us this year.
  5. kclawnmowerman

kclawnmowerman LawnSite Member

I work untill 8 or 9 alot and never had a customer question it or get mad.
  6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

At this time of year when landscaping a job where there is no shade,I start at 5:00pm and work tell 11:00pm (I have portable lighting)I leave on the jobsite.
    With clients OK I work that late.
    Other stuff early in the morning return calls ect,set-up my delivery orders by phone so I have the middle hours when it's hottest off.
    So really I put in a 9 hour day,just not all outside.
    This is my slowdown period of the year.Work gets back to 10 or 12 hr days in Fall.
    In fact I thing I'm gonna go camping for a week or so very soon get up and out of the heat and into the river.
  7. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I try to avoid working past 5:00 mainly because if I work much past that time, it's later when I get a shower and dinner, later when I get to bed and I'm usually not well rested as a result.

When I was 25 years old, this didn't bother me. I'm no longer 25 years old. It bothers me.
  8. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

Lots of days when I work sun up - sun down. Come on, it's a seasonal job so I do as much as I can WHEN I CAN.
  9. Bulletproof

Bulletproof LawnSite Member

In April, May and the start of June we would work normally 12 hours a day, sometimes 7 days a week.

So we'd always end up working well past the 5-6pm time window.

We have a system that works well I think: do the commercial properties first in the morning, so you're usually going by 7... this can be cutting, whatever.

By the time 8:30 rolls around we feel its ok to start doing residentials, and past dinner time if we can help it we try to stick to commercial properties.

We've never had any complaints, but we try to be as courteous as possible
  10. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm no longer 27 years old, either! :rolleyes:

Just wait 'til you turkeys hit middle age. You laugh now, I'll laugh later.