Working saturday

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirty Water, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I don't usually work saturdays, but at the moment I'm the only person in the company working (I'm the foreman, bosses are on vacation, and I lost most of my help back to school). So, in order to keep from getting behind on monday I decided to finish up a install one of our other employee's had put before he quit.

All that was supposed to be left to do was adjust, but I ended up spending 5 hours on it. There were valveboxes located were a new fence was going in that had to be moved, almost every valve was wired wrong, and to top it off, the landscaper had buried 4 of the valve boxes.

Since I didn't do the install I had no idea were they were, and I couldn't find them with the timer because it was wired wrong (I have to get a 521!)

So, I spent a hour poking around with a shovel, finally found all the boxes, wired everything right, fired it up to adjust to find 2 breaks in the lateral lines (rocky soil, apparently they backfilled with the trencher blade without picking the rocks out).

So all in all, I guess this is what happens when I'm not on the job site. :angry:

Either that or the guy knew it was his last install and just halfassed it.

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I'll be doing Saturdays in October for winterizing. But I only did 3 or 4 this year during April/May. A little work in the office, but I have done prety good at turning off the phone for the weekends.

Jon - I have a 521 I am thinking of selling. May need an overhaul from Progressive, not sure though. Had it for probably 6-7 years and used it once. Any thoughts??

3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Being that I work for a school district I rarely have to work any Saturdays. Exceptions would be if we're doing a major repair job and it has to be coordinated when there is no school in session but these are few and far between. Emergencies are handled by the on-call Maintenance or Grounds Dept. directors and if an emergency occurs they merely turn off the irrigation backflow. Then when I come in on Monday our crew attacks the problem. Nice thing is that the area is usually dried up enough that we aren't working in mud. Another exception would be if I have to research a project on the Internet like I did last weekend with HDPE pipe. Not that I don't have Internet access at work but I'm usually too busy during the normal work day. I track my hours, print out all the information I've gathered into a notebook, take it in on Monday and submit my overtime with this "report."