Working solo, how many accounts in one day?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowinforaliving, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Mowinforaliving

Mowinforaliving LawnSite Bronze Member

Just wondering if anyone has a round about figure on how many standard size residential lawns, a one man show can knock out in one day. Let's say 10 hour day. Look at the equipment in my signature and pretend that's what you have to work with when figuring this. Thanks.

2. bblawncare

bblawncare LawnSite Member

Not sure what a standard size yard is where you are, but I am a "one woman" show (over the age of 40) and I can knock out 31 "cookie cutter" homes by myself (maybe 5-8K sq ft) and on another day I mow 14 yards which are 12-18K sq ft each. I have similar equipment. My mow consists of edge, weedeat, mow, and blow. I am also able to do some hedge trimming with each group-mow up the trimmings to save time and bags. My routes are extremely tight-the 31 homes are in one community -less than 1.5 miles apart. In the 14 home group, 8 of them are on the same street, the other 6 less than 2 miles away.

3. D & J Lawn Care

D & J Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Yeah I agree 14 is a comfortable number I've done 22 in one day but thats eating hotdogs while i'm pumping gas for lunch and driving with gloves and eye protection but I dont have more the 3 on one street

4. PearceLawn

PearceLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I do 23 on Mondays. Mostly smaller and 3 stops that have 4 houses.

5. covalawn

covalawn LawnSite Member

I would say that 15 a day is a good number. I have actually done 22 but that was 8 to 8 balls to the wall cutting. I would say my normal average on a house is about 30 including drive time. So in a 10 hour day with an hour for lunch and/or talking you should be able to do 15-18 yards.

6. Mowinforaliving

Mowinforaliving LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats about what I was thinking.

7. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

I would think you would easily be able to do 2 per hour with that equipment. Factor in drive time, lunch, gas and other activities, you should be comfortable knocking out 15 or so.

8. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with coonman, in this area 15 is about right. I wouldn't want to do 15 everyday all season long though. That would be tough. (solo any way)

Tony

9. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

12 15.....

10. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

Agreed. This always sounds great on paper until you have that rain day or days. Then that 15 a day becomes almost impossible to get caught back up, especially in soggy wet conditions. I usually shoot for around 10 a day, but I just use smaller mowers and try to keep it an 8 hour day with lunch.