Working Solo Sucks!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MileHigh, Jun 23, 2008.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

I had to fire my guy over the weekend,,,he no called no showed on my biggest day Friday...I was mowing from 7am to 8pm...I was pissed to say the least.

Anyways I realize that I can do so much more in a day, with a much better attitude with a good second man, (Plus I think it looks more professional) so I'm in the re-hiring phaze again... and I f n hate it. I start a new guy tomorrow...I'll give him a day...If it he doesn't show vast improvment from lawn 1 to lawn 22...he's done.

The bad thing is that I though I had a guy for at least the rest of the season and into the snow removal/winteraztion part of my biz. This guy was as good as me running around on these lawns..., he even taught me a thing or two, he was just way to unreliable and I think had some drug problems?...who knows...This is just way to stressful...I hate employees....but when I find a good one...I'm gonna kiss his a$$.

How are you guys doing with your employees?

ALL I NEED IS ONE GOOD MAN DAMNIT!!!

2. cej93

cej93 LawnSite Member

I wish you luck; I am not an LCO but a great friend of mine is and he actually employs two guys in hopes of keeping one around when he needs him. It really sucks; he wants me to come to work with him when I retire from the AF but not too sure if I can do it or not; he is/could be a pain in the a$$ to work for. I can only assume that is part of his staffing problems possibly. He's a great guy who takes care of his guys but he is hard as far as trying to get things just how he wants them.

Good luck with your hunt for your employee.

:usflag:

3. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Eglin or Tyndall? Either way, you got it made. Tony
    Oh yeah, the post. You wanna know what sucks about being solo?
    When you HAVE to buy workers comp anyway. Which I do to maintain certain contracts. That really sucks.

4. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

4 employees including 1 daughter

Usually have one leave in a season, he leaves or is separated. University students high marks, athletic aptitudes.

5. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 LawnSite Senior Member

ohh i hear you there , i had our main guy quite the mowing routine, thur/fri 1.2 day, then landscaping...he said hell only landscape, mon -thru wed, then on fri1.2 day and on the weekends if needed, and hes also on for plowing/shoveling....got another guy that is pritty bad, talks all sorts of crap and tells his mom made up crap that i do, and she called me bad scene...but i still keep them , i have no other option, i wish they could just chill out....

6. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

so i help a buddy of mine out well ex buddy. workd for like a month and a half strait with only like 6 days off the whole time because the guys he had broke 2 windows in a week and something eles. so then he gets some other guys and i am like well your back from college so now you can baby sit this is nuts. guy ripped me off for like 700bucks of pay. and then he wrote me as a sub. so now ill have to pay tax on what little money i did make. I dont get it. i hate people pretty much

7. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

It's a tough biz brah....

Find a man good enough to keep things streamlined and he's likely to go elsewhere. Find a man who's good enough to at least show up and hope he doesn't end up costing you too much money, rather than making it.

Try to hire well and gain respect first. Human behavior dictates that people in general want to avoid the pain of letting down someone they truly respect.

Respect can be a far greater motivator than money. But one needs to really step up to make that happen.

Good luck!

8. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

part of the game for us.just one of those things we have to buck up and do or let the enthusiastic youngsters take over.

9. Green Team Landscaping

Green Team Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

well, its hard to find hard working 8th graders with good work output and quality to say the least.

10. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Could have been worse. He could have pawned some of your equipment to get fast cash. :waving:

JP