Working solo - Your time doesn't matter???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Aug 13, 2004.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I got into a discussion with someone. It was about detours.
    We've been experiencing a detour one day a week, for 4 weeks, which is adding roughly an extra 36 to 40 minutes round trip for us on Thursday. I asked the person what they thought about it, and they said it only matters if you have employees....
    And I quote:
    My employees are being paid by the hour, or minute actually. When my men are being paid for my time, then time is money. In your case, you lose nothing by spending the extra few min each day.

I say that is wrong, I say time is time, and it is still costing us.

Opinions?????

2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

it's not COSTING YOU ANYTHING! if this frame of mind were correct, then taking a lunch break would be COSTING you money. taking a day off would be COSTING you money. quitting at 5 instead of 6 would be COSTING you money. now if they vote in my favor, remember what you promised me....

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

WRONG, it is costing us. Cause we could be at the next job making money, however we are stuck on the road!!!! think, before you type.

4. Ray & Karen

Ray & Karen LawnSite Member

The only way that it would be costing you anthing is because of the potential work you may be missing out on if you were to use that time to gain extra work....otherwise you just get done later.

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i know ray, she's really going out on a limb here. if her mentality were correct, then she'd be LOSING MONEY by taking sunday off, and LOSING MONEY by not working till midnight. this falls along the same logic that the print company i used to work for used: in year 2000, they ESTIMATED sales for 2001 to be 5 million. when year 2001 was over, the actual sales came back at 4.5 million. so, they claimed they LOST a half a million dollars.

6. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

From my view as a CPA, and former cost accountant, only in "soft" dollars or opportunity cost.
    In other words a job that pays a fixed $100, pays $100 regardless of the intermittent variations in time. There are no hard dollar loss of revenue or increase in costs when the dollars amounts are fixed and time varies within a relevant range. From my view as a engineer, all time used is considered an integral factor because it, time, is finite, (you only have so much) can be assigned a value, like any other tangible products and, like many other tangible products, its value is allocated based on the amount used. I hope ya'll appreciate my solid stance and the clarity of my explanation.

7. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

If you're solo, the detour would only cost you money if your schedule was so full that the 40 minutes prevented you from doing an additional job that week. At least, that's how I view it.

8. wrestlingcoach

wrestlingcoach LawnSite Senior Member

gas cost money

9. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

It is concepts like this that seperate the business person that happens to maintain lawns or landscapes. And the lawn jockey that attempts to "run" a business.

Of course it is costing you money, possibly more that if you had employees. If you are more efficient than a paid employee that means you can generate more dollars per hour, therefore any hours you are not working costs more than an employee that is not working. Far better that the paid less efficient employee be trapped in traffic than yourself. People can get caught up in this all the time, they figure if they are not paying out it is not costing them money, WRONG WRONG WRONG.

10. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Tell us again Jodi, Why are you doing this?
    It only matters if you have employees?
    Not quite.
    Time is money,it matters not who's time it is.
    My time is worth cash just the same,ask him if HE works for free.