1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ron, Apr 23, 2001.

1. ron

ron LawnSite Senior Member

2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

hi, imagining u are new in the field? if so welcome? if not sorry lol. this all depends on what equipment u have, what size yards, for example a person with a 22'' mower will take three times longer then a person with a 44'' ztr on a piece of property, must count for size equip speed they mow at etc etc etc
  3. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

i cut solo, from 1 till about 4 until the kid that helps me gets out of school and by the time i pick him up and i can knock out 5 about a half acea each if not bigger. but thats a double cut on all the yards.
  4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I did a search on SOLO and came up with a good thread that has a great post in it by Jim Lewis. I think all SOLO operators should read it and I bet you learn something since it is a huge post and very informative. It is a great post Jim, as usual. :)

5. Ground Pounder

Ground Pounder LawnSite Member

I can do 10 a day. I go solo with my 52" doing most of the work.
  6. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

Thats a wide question..kinda like going to a bar and asking for a beer...the bartender is probably going to need that to be little bit clearer......with so many choices in beer.....however check the post Eric has..also check your equipment guides, most have production charts...good luck
  7. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I ussually do about 15 a day by my self.... 20 if I really bust my a**! I use a toro z master 62 inch deck and a 36 walkbehind and do 1/2-1 acre lawns.
  8. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Jim writes a good post doesn't he?

To you guys going solo... I have a lot of respect for you. I wish I could do it, but I don't really want to work that hard. Plus, at 300 accounts, it's not possible. I run 2 crews currently with 3 per crew. The average lawn takes about 10 minutes with the manpower I have. I believe it is worthwhile to have help so you can get more done, but help comes with a lot of headaches. The more help you have, the less time mowing and the more time babysitting. This is my sixth season, and this is the first year that I feel like I have a stable and reliable crew. I know we have all had problems with the labor force so I wish you all the best. Once again, good luck to you soloists.
  9. I do lots of tweeking on my accounts. If I had 'just mowin' accounts, I could easily mow bout 7-10 lawns from 8am-4pm w. 21 wb. Most lawns in Hawaii no more than 2500 sq. ft.

Tweeking is edging, shrub care, ground cover trim, weed control, growth reg, foliar, pest, sprink repair, blowing, sucking, bagging, tying dead branches, and more but I can't remember. So the numbers can change considerably. When you know how to tweek good, then you do less volume but charge more, depending on degree of difficulty, type of service required, etc.

BTW its harder to tweek with a crew cause most of the labor out there today are not qualified or not interested in getting superior, consistant results. Therefore,much time wasted bird dogging a crew when you could be getting results by yourself.

If you have a crew that is not what I have just described,then you have a good thing going and you better reward accordingly (not just on the back, they want $$$)

Solo is best for me.

Hope this helps.

Aloha, P.Y.S.
  10. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I've done 42 w/ 2 helpers in a day, but only 12-14 by myself. it would be easy to do ALOT of small lawns in one neighborhood by ones self, but the drive time in normal routing kills ya. I'd like to know the record acreage per man in a day, or max lawns per crew member people can come up with. dave