1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Working Soooooooo CHEAP

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by down size, Mar 25, 2006.

1. down size

down size LawnSite Member
    from indiana

Just lost a client to a company I believe is called Pro Scape in the south Indy area. They say they will cut, trim, fertilize (4 apps.) and weed flower beds for 25.00 weekly. It takes approximately 30 minutes for two men to pick up debris cut, trim and blow. How in the world do these guys plan to make a profit at this price? What is this business coming to? If Pro Scape reads on this site I wish they would personal mail me because I would like to sub-contract them for all my business at .75 on the dollar if they're interested in buying clients at no profit.
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

that $25 is my absolute minimum for weekly mowing, trimming and blowing but im usually start at $30....pro scapes can't be making a profit or ther is some hidden fee or something.
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe the $25/wk translates to $100/mo for 12 months....a lot of yards are done for that in our area, and includes the things you talk about.
  4. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

it's the "just mowit" style outlook it works.
  5. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

I thibnk they are fig 4 apps takes not time at all so they are planning on making thier money on the 25.00 on the weekly cutting and eating thier fert time and mataerial. as far as cutting time we can cut 3homes an hour on average with a 2 man crew if they are good but our homes are all 1/4 acre lots or so and are in close proxomity. Just another company out to undercut. what can you do?
  6. midwest

midwest LawnSite Member
    from MIDWEST

Seen pro scape in Missouri. Not sure if it the same company. They dont look like a huge co. Mainly 2/3 man crew. Nothing fancy. So be it . (Carma, I believe in it, Do you?)
  7. down size

down size LawnSite Member
    from indiana

It's for 18 cuts. And they are even going to trim the shrubs for that price approx 25 three foot burning bushes. there is always a 33 gallon trash bag of trash every week. they told the manager they could beat last years price by 20%.I cut the strip mall its in and I charged that just to cut. I couldn't drive my v10 f350 there and drop the gate on the trailer for that! I guess they'll get what they pay for and I hope they don't blow all thier trash over on me.
  8. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Seems like more and more lowballers around here every year. Some guys just don't get it. Alot of customers doesn't always equal alot of money. There are guys around here quoting mulch at $40/yd delivered and spread, just don't understand why anyone would work soooo cheap. I talked with another landscaper in my area yesterday and he's getting $82/yd, double the money and he's so busy he is turning work away. Just goes to show the lowballers will come and go but those of you that offer quality work will get the customers regardless of the money.
  9. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

its like that down here also .But sometimes they can just afford to do it at that price
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Seen 'em come and seen 'em go. They learn in time. Some make it, some don't. I can see doing the 25 a cut. If he does 400 lawns a week (multiple crews) and makes $5 off each one, that's different. But when he starts throwing in the shrubs, fert., and whatever else, that tells me something different. I CAN tell you one thing...this ex-client is going to get what he pays for.