Working under a Walk Behind?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by troberts, Sep 8, 2001.

1. troberts

troberts LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

What is considered to be a safe and effective way to lift/work under a walk behind (i.e. change blades, scrape deck, etc...)

Specifically, I'm talking about a Metro 48".

I do not transport this mower anywhere, so I don't have a trailer, truck, or ramps.

What do dealers use? What is the cost?

I really love this new mover, but I'm not really in the mood to die under it. At least not yet....

Thanks,

TMR

2. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

A safe way I use is either car ramps,or car jack stands.I use 2 car jack stands usually,also block the back wheel.The car ramps kind of get in the way but safe.If you feel the need, and have a garage with an I beam run a chain to the mower deck,from the I beam.

3. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

hey heres what i use i put the machine in gear and lock it in place then i put milk crates under the front casters and have enough room to get under to do blades and clean the deck. i think dealers use something like a jungle jack or stand that is like a dolly and lifts the deck up, but find some concrete blocks or milk crtes and this will b an inexpensive but safe way to do what u want

4. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I just put wood blocks behind the wheels, then pickup the front end and set it on a jack stand, do what I need to do, then lift it up and set it back down. No problems yet, knock on wood. I'm sure there are probally better ways than mine, but this works ok for me.

5. troberts

troberts LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Thanks guys.

One more question just to be sure....

When I prop the mower up on blocks or milk crates, do I set the the front caster wheels on the blocks/crates? This isn't hard on the casters wheels?

O.K., I guess that was two questions...

Thanks,

TMR

6. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

TRoberts,

Your concern for safety is well founded. Anytime you are working under any equipment weighing as much as a commercial lawnmower you should take precautions.

DO NOT relay soley on mechanical or hydraulic jacks for support. Use adequate jack stands or equivalent support.

Thank you

Terry

7. troberts

troberts LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

eXmark,

Could you be a little more specific. I don't want to sound stupid, but I don't even know what a "jack stand" is.

What specifically does eXmark recommend for this?
    Does eXmark sell them?
    How much are they?
    Do you have a picture you could post so I could see what you are talking about?

Sorry for the numerous questions.

Thanks,
    TMR

8. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

TMR,

Jack stands are available at most automotive parts stores as well as many hardware stores. They are designed to hold an automobile up once a jack has raised the vehicle. The stand has an adjustable height and can hold large amounts of weight once it has been lifted.

Don't tell anybody but I've used many things to support the front of my machine while I removed my blades. Not all items I've used would represent intelligence on my part, the most common being a 5 gal. bucket. I now use jack stands. No matter what you use to support the front of your mower you should be certain to block the rear tires and lock the parking brake to help prevent the mower and your supports from shifting or moving. I would also recommend supporting the mower at the front of the mower deck and not at the caster wheels. The wheels can shift, turn etc. which could possibly allow the mower to fall.

Use good solid judgement and you should be fine. If you not sure, give me a call at 402-223-6358.

Thanks

Terry

9. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

when u pop the machine on the milk crates, the wheels almost sink in a little and therefore do not move, well at least for me, but when u remove the blades and give a big tug whichall them damm blades reqire, u need to have a hold on the machine's deck because if you dont and u pull hard and eough and jerk the spindes you could possibly move the machine off the crates. i have used crates many times and not one of my walk behinds has moved, when it is the first time taking the blades off and they are tight i suggest u put the wheels on the crates, spread a rag out spray i with penetrating oil and they will come off much easier. if you can see if someone will hold the handles of the machine so it wont move the first time. i never had a problem and do all blades mostly on my own. if you are only going to use a jack one or two times a season it isnt worth buying, the crates are an inexpensive but productive tool. when washing the machine just spray water through the discharge as well it is easier. then run the blades and stuff will come off. good luck