1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

working with family?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DUSTYCEDAR, Aug 3, 2003.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

working with family good-bad-ugly? are they a help or dragging u down?
  2. Qualey

Qualey LawnSite Member

My 27 year old brother is my maintenance foreman. He is somewhat disorganized by nature, but give him a list and it gets done fast and right. My 21 year old sister assists in the hardscape end and drives truck better than most here. We all grew up in a rural area on a farm. None of these city kids even come close to their work ethic. Also, check with your agent----you may be able to save $$$ on comp charges
  3. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

My 17 yr old son works for me.........but he seems to get a little lax at times. Fartin around in the house in the morning while the crew is loadin up the equipment...

Have to put an 11 up his butt on occasion;)
  4. Live4Mowin'

Live4Mowin' LawnSite Member

i may sound ignorant but what does that mean?
  5. Live4Mowin'

Live4Mowin' LawnSite Member

i may sound ignorant but what does that mean?:confused:
  6. jh88

jh88 LawnSite Member

Putting an 11 up his but means sticking his foot in his but. 11 refering to his shoe size.
  7. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

it works great for us.

My hubby is an integral part in our business, on-call maintenance guy, sound business advice guy, go-between for the real PITA customers that I have tangled w., on call employee. - couldn't survive without him - business or otherwise.;)

Also, had 2 of my stepsons work for us. The absolute best employees that we have ever had. Always on time, work hard even when the other employees slow down, and deal with customers in a mature manner. Currently, have the younger stepson ( 18) working full time w the crew. Couldn't ask for better employee. I never feel like I have to babysit or explain every single thing to him. We have had good experiences with them. They are young and moldable still. I dunno about older family members.
  8. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I've had family work for me before (Never WITH me - as a partner - that would be a nightmare) and I have had very limited success. One family member even had the gall to smoke pot on the job with another one of my workers and hide it from me. Needless to say, neither of them work for me anymore.

I did have one cousin who worked for me for one summer and did a pretty good job for an American guy (no American can outwork Latinos) but the second summer that he returned, he got very lax and eventually just didn't even show up for work one week.

Bad experiences for the most part, here. If I did it again, I'd keep them on a VERY tight leash.
  9. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

Now Jim, why did you have to start that...you know when you say something like that, by classifying, you are going to start a pi$$ing match. Please, don't go there.:p
  10. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I would never work with family members. I would let family help me out in certain ways like for example if one was an electrician and I needed to wire a garage. Something like that is alright, but working with is another thing.