1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Working with family...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnalternatives, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Lawnalternatives

Lawnalternatives LawnSite Member

Does any one have an opinion about hiring family?
  2. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

Can be very good or very bad. Unfortunately, there's more chance of being very bad. Case in point, My daughter and now ex son in law worked with me on occasion. Every time they had a disagreement, I was left holding the bag. Their final fight occured on the job. The ex son in law got in the truck and left both of us standing there with our hats in our hand. Had to call my wife to come get us. Daughter still works and now is dependable
  3. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

its easier working with non-family members, for me at least.

I have employed family members and would rather not do it again, full time that is, however I will on temporary basis.

It is tough to tell family when they are doing it wrong or not good enough.
  4. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

5. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Ok you want to hire????? of your family? Any ways I would and do Hire my cousin from time to time knowing that this it is a rough time and when and if he can I would appreciate his help. He is going to college and I do not repeat do not rely(sp) on him. I do it to 1 help him out and 2 he helps me out when he is able to.
    As for hiring a family member full time.....
    NO WAY! To much conflict in the buisness to add more.
    I worship my family and would not let any thing get between us but when it comes to buisness I feel the same way. Why ruin a good thing now? and with your family?
    If it is temporary Yes knowing well no hard feelings either way. they get a little extra CASH and you get some help.
    You are the one that can only answer this question as you know weather they are offended easily and weather they are a hard worker or not.
    Good luck.
  6. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Neither friends nor family has worked out for me. Ended up firing both. Fortunately, it doesn't bother me to fire someone for not performing up to standard. When I have to warn them more than once about talking on their cell phone while I'm bustin' my hump they're as good as gone.

Even had one employee tell me off on the job site. Paid him for the day and told him to take a cab home. Left him standing there looking stupid.