working with guys that mow only

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by deltascapes, Sep 16, 2006.

1. deltascapes

deltascapes LawnSite Member

i am a licensed chemical applicator in tn and ms. i am wanting to know the ins and outs of do sub work for guys that mow yards seems like a good way to pick up accounts.

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Yes there is money in it for sure. I know of several here that do just that. Even look for guys that do fertilizing already. Often times they can handle the smaller lawns fine with just spreading fert, but the BIG properties and spraying weeds is harder to do when you have limited time with a full mowing schedule.

I'd like to find someone here to do just that for me, but most app guys also mow or have a mowing crew. Just seems wrong to have another mowing service on my customers lawns. I'd prefer that my customers just pay the app. guy directly, rather than channel through me. Yes I could make a 10% mark up or so doing it through me, but then I have to cough up huge checks to the guy every month. Really hurts to see that much potential profit slipping away from me.

As long as you don't mow too I wouldn't think anyone who mows only would be scared of you. Show your current lawns to the guys you are targeting so they can see that you do know what you are doing. I think it's a win win for both sides really. The customer is more likely to retain their mow blow and go guy if he's providing fert and squirt too even if it's subbed out, they don't have to know that. Many people prefer to have ONE company do it all.

Sorry if that's confusing... I'm more tired then I thought!

3. ATL Lawn

ATL Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

yes, very much so..

4. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

we mow lawns also, and provide fertilization and weed control services. we work for 2 different mowing companies provding fertilization for them. they had reservations but we sign a non-compete with them as long as they have the account. Some companie are still leary of us though. but if my word isnt good enough for them then their money isnt good enough for me. business men that dont trust in that way are usually the one who are the snookers. sub contracting is the best and most cost effective way to expand. many national companies grow this way. the lack of trust in our industry shows just how much we really lack as business men.

5. livingsoils

livingsoils LawnSite Member

:confused: How do you charge for your fert services?:confused: I am looking at subcontracting my fertilization services to mowing companies. I was wondering what is the best way to charge, Especially if they already have customers that they fertilize. They don't want the hassle of keeping up with the applications and Govt red tape. But they don't just want to give me all their customers.
    thank Mike

6. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

To bad your not around here Jason, I'm dropping my mowing and going after fert & Squirt only. that means increasing my fert. base a large amount to make up all the mowing hours i spend. Around here the mowing market is a wash do to the mass unemployment. I figure if I drop all but my very best full serve customers I will have loads of freed up time for increased apps.

Oh ya, as a mowing company I cover that with a simple " No Compete agreement"