Working with HGTV

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES, Oct 29, 2007.

1. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

got your attention hugh??? I had a question to see how you guys deal with the ones that call looking for a patio and have no idea that it could cost them $8-$10K. I don't want to say something to them and push them away when i possibly might get "something" out of them, but when i receive the call, i know that i am going to go out, take a look at their yard, build a quote, then comense to pick them up off the floor.

Most of the time i ask them if they have a budget in mind for the project and show them some pictures of other patios and tell them what they cost figuring if they are penny shy, they will let me know right then and there. This process works most of the time, i just have to be extra causios that i don't insult or scare off someone that would spend money with me on a lesser project.

Does anyone have any tried and true tactics?

2. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have a website? Refer them to your website and have a clause stating or giving example of the steps and what they can expect to spend on a quality patio.

3. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Its all about advertising in the right places, screening the calls before you make call backs, and telling customers what type of referals you are looking for.

I really have not had much of a proablem this year once i figured out how to deal with it. I always google earth customers before i call them back. If the house is not in area i want to work i may not call them back or i will tell them that we do not service there area. I have told people who lived 2 miles from my houses that i do not work in that area.

If you want to make money in this business you need to decided what type of people you want to work for and what types of jobs you want to do. Then you need to sticck to those decisions! You can not be everything to everyone.

4. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

great thing about hgtv is everything is just about shot in fl or ca. where of course anything will grow and hardscapes in fla are the cheapest /ft in the world right?

5. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

we had a hgtv opportunity this past spring.

theyy do shop for the lowest price contractor.

in our case, another contractor offered to do the front walk, stoop and driveway for FREE.

I like public exposure.

But I do not do charity work for any homeowners that do not have any health conditions.

6. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

So Matt - You just DON'T call people back!!?? You should know by now the effect of negative word of mouth...right? How do you know WHO these people know? "Hey Bill! I tried calling Rusk about my $20K project and he never called back! so don't bother calling him about your $200K project" Excellent business tactic. You must think you are more than you are!

Chris

7. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

That works.

I put a water feature video on my website, so when people see an ad on Craigslist, or call from our advertising or website, I can point them to the video when they wonder how much they can get for a certain amount of money.

It gives them a middle range starting point.

8. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with Chris. You never want to count out anyone. You never know. Unfortunately you still have those appointment that are a waste. I went on one tonight. I had a very strong feeling that it was going to be a bust, but i would have shot myself if i didn't go and it came back to haunt me in the end.

9. pj550v12

pj550v12 LawnSite Senior Member

The word from a $10,000, could be more powerful than that of a $100,000. I guess some of us dont share that opinion.

10. capetan

capetan LawnSite Member

hahahha i had a similar situation not for a patio/hardscaping but a costly cleanup/tree clearing/ brush removal deal, and i was the first estimate they received ...... it was my first large estimate so i probably could have presented it better ..... yeah it was a learning experience
    the most important thing to do is, ask as many questions as you can about what the customer wants and expects, just ask a lot of questions, and you know if you have serious customer on your hands before you even go out for the estimate, the customer will only be shocked if you dont set expectations about your product and quality of your services ...... the more you do the better you get it just takes time and practice