Working with realtors/management co.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by midwest guy, Feb 16, 2005.

1. midwest guy

midwest guy LawnSite Member

Have any of you worked for one of these and if so how did things turn out?
    Got a chance to do all the mowing and plowing for 2 realtors,be doing vacant homes and business maybe some power washing to.
    All so got a chance to work with 2 management co.that own residential and commercial properties(mowing/plowing).
    This is a awesome way to get started and I don't even have any equipment yet.Plowing would be next year.
    Only going to take what I can do,I am NOT going to make the BIG mistake of trying to take it all,then lose it all because I can't do a great job for them.
    Hard to belive this started out by talking to 2 people.
    Got a couple other leads that mite turn out to be worth big money and have not done any advertising yet.
    If this all comes together mite not be any need to.
  2. vntgrcr

vntgrcr LawnSite Senior Member

Just be careful! I don't want to offend anyone out there, but I had my start in the Prop. Mgmt business/Handyman working for a large real estate company. Realtors (spelling!) are right there with ambulance chasing lawyers. What I have found is that there is no loyalty, and they will drop you for the new lower priced guy in a second. Just cover your butt, get a few residential clients who for the most part are loyal and not put all of your eggs in one basket. Good luck.
  3. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I agree totally. I had a chance to pick up 2 major properties when I first started out but decided against it. I am a solo operation and these properties would have tied me up all week long and would have left little time to grow a base of loyal customers. Remember every customer is important, but if you lose 2 out of 50 you can recover. If you have 3 or 4 BIG accounts and you lose 2 of them then you stand to lose half of your income. Build slowly and keep them happy. Good Luck
  4. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

i will be doing alot for them this year there are so many on the market and there always looking no one wants them cuz there all small and the lawn guy run a big outfit so the tend to say no to the Little jobs but i also do clean outs and will be taking care of a few reaslatate company's this season as have i done alot for them in the past i will be doing more for them and for more then just 2 of them i habn't had any problems yet but i live in a small town so........