Working with Realtors

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by drsogr, Sep 6, 2005.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I need some advice for working with Realtors/Developers. My company specializes in new yard installs. The other day I was doing a quote and came upon a realtor/develper that is works with several new developments. He asked for some info and I gave him some business cards and some general prices. Well he called me today..about a week later, wanting some quotes. I am supposed to meet with him in a few days.

I have always dealt with homeowners and never with realtors. My question is, should I give this guy a discount so that I could recieve more work in the future? Do people expect kick-backs? How does this all work? Or should I just quote it like a normal customer. I am not currently hurting for work as I do this part-time, but working with realtors and developers could help my company grow into a fullt-time gig in the future. This work would be new yard installs and light landscaping.

Thanks,
    Derek Ringer

2. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

there are exceptions to every rule, but as a small operator, I would not deal with this type of client until you are financially stable enough to carry jobs out 60, 90, 120 days or longer. It will be nothing like dealing with a homeowner, who has an interest in the quality of the install. Cheap and crappy is the rule with most developers, but they want it to look like Versailles until they can get it sold. Development is a gamblers game, if you can't afford to gamble, stay out of that particular game.

3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<marquee loop="infinite" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our CPA. Click Here </font></marquee>
    Hi drsogr,

Just a thought. If you could get some business cards from the realtor and let them know you could help put the word out about them, maybe they would choose to work with you more.

<table width=100%>
    <tr bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><td align=left><a HREF="http://www.gophersoftware.com/?ref=1">Download and try Gopher Free for 30 days.</a><BR>See if we can help you.</td><TD align="center"></td><td>[​IMG]</td></tr></table>
    <center>Free Web Templates. Free Marketing Secrets.</center>

4. drsogr

Yeah well thats kind of what I figured...that they would want it done as cheap and as quick as possible. That is why I was waiting to go full-time before tapping into that resource. I plan on doing a couple of jobs with this particular guy to get a feel for what to expect.

I am still curious if this guy is going to want a kickback....or if by getting cheap labor he just makes more.

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Excellent advise^^^^
    As far as kick backs they don't get them [I don't know if they expect them or not] There looking for the cheapest price to help sell the property. Its about how much they can profit , not quility. Don't fall for the "more work in the future" as soon as they get an offer cheaper or some one can be at there call an hr before you thats who will get the "future work" until the next one comes along.

6. drsogr

Thanks for the advice. This at least gives me an idea of how things work. I will keep all of this in mind. I plan to give this one realtor a try and see how things go. I am not going to activly look for that kind of work though until I am ready. This one job should at least give me a good idea of what to expect.