1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

working with snow

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MikeLandscaping, Nov 12, 2004.

1. MikeLandscaping

MikeLandscaping LawnSite Member

How unfortunate can i get started working today next thing you know its snowing out if its mind. They are saying we could get upwards to 2 inches im gonna be way behind if that happens. Anyone else with me on this problem or ne other problem?

2. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Same problem here but with temps going back to the 50s soon you will probably only miss the weekend at most.I remeber last season i was sucking up a pile of leaves with 6 inches of snow on the ground.Plow hooked up and leaf box on the other end :)

3. Currinson

Currinson LawnSite Member
    from MA

Yeh the snow cut the clean ups short today, I switched it up and started applying the 5th step of fertilizer, that worker for a little while. I hope it melts soon, alot of leaves left here. Arent customers funny, they all want to " be the last clean up, when all of the leaves are down" and then suddenly at the first forcast of snow they all call wondering where you are.
    I tell them the weather is one thing we cant control, they ask well what about the leaves if it snows, I reasure them by reminding them that the weathermen are only correct 30 % of the time, but if they are correct I will plow their driveway if they would like.

Take Care

Erick

4. MikeLandscaping

What apr of ct you in?

5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I still have about 35 cleanups to do. Hope to be done by Dec 1.......

Gene

6. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

I think the snow should melt for us all before next week. Back in action on Monday.

20 more cleanups to go!

7. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

we still have about 20 clean-up's to do. I wish it would snow tommorow!!!!!! tired of dealing with lawns............ I will say the same thing with snow bythe end of Jan.

8. MikeLandscaping

Yea it put us really behind now. I still have about 5 more lawns to do before its snows big time.

9. grassrootsinab

grassrootsinab LawnSite Member
    from up here

I got stopped in October. We had about 4 inches of snow on or about the 10th. It hung around for a while and I thought that it was here to stay. Winterized all the machinary and stored it for the winter. This last week we had temperatures of +11 celsius (have no idea in farenheit...never did get the 9/5 +32 etc) and could probably have cut. I only had 2 final cuts left. The clients are OK with leaving it 'til spring. I just thought it wasn't worth having to re-winterize everything again. Dang snow....guess that's what I get for living north of the 49th parallel. Good news though is the snow is in the hills and the ski hills are already open!!! Yahoo!!!!