Working with sub contractors

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Stihl036pro, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Stihl036pro

Stihl036pro LawnSite Member

I am preparing a grounds Maintenance bid for a retirement community. I have a question. One of the services I need to perform in order to bid is lawn spraying. Now, My business is not licensed in that field so I cant spray the lawn my-self. I wondering if my best bet would be to sub-contract another company to do that part of the contract. What kinda of things should I look out for when doing this? I don't want anyone bidding on my part of the job. The area is quite large and the grounds are well kept. All the other work they want done is not a problem. Thanks for the Help! -MIKE-

2. hortboy

hortboy LawnSite Member

As much as it pains me to say it . Use a company that only does pesticide and fert applications like TruGreen-Chemlawn. From my experience, I know they are well insured, trained well and offer fre service calls. And I know for a fact they don't do any lawn maint. I've used them in the past for 1 time deals on huge properties and the results have been good. A couple things to have done, have them call you a few days in advance and get rain dates. Then tell your property manager so he can post or tell problem residents. When I have used TGCL I get them to bid the job for me then I add 10% and put in on my bid to customer. They are pretty good about waiting up to 90 days for payment so you can get paid and then pay them.

3. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Actually TG does do commercial lawn maintenance in my area. There should be many options from which to choose. Ask your clients who they use. Look at your own lawns and determine who does the besat job. Then talk to the owner, manager, etc. and tell them you want them to bid a job "for you". You will need to spell out everything you want done, get insurance, and anything else that makes you feel at ease.

For years I had a couple of companies that I turned all of the pest control over to and they referred me to clients that they serviced. We all made money. I try to use local mom and pop companies all the time for everything even if it means spending a little more. They have more to lose than a big company and your money, all your money stays in the community you live.

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

If you talk to the manager of tru-green and explain what you want to do and maybe bs him a little about how much work you will throw him, he will knock 20% off his commercial rate real fast. I use them all the time, when they can do it cheaper than me and I still make $$$ why not? They only do applications here.

Mac

5. Stihl036pro

Stihl036pro LawnSite Member

I recived the bid sheet in the mail a couple of days ago and it spells out what they want done. So if ture green or chem lawn have any questions about what is needed to be done I can refer back to the bid sheet. Thanks for the help, Keep them coming. -MIKE-