Workmans Comp/ Builders

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by shortgrass01, Jun 12, 2008.

1. shortgrass01

shortgrass01 LawnSite Member
    from SC

Well the builders are feeling the pinch; I had 2 (1A) home bulders approach me about mowing for them. Both wanted to know what I charged and if I had workmans Comp. Are you kidden me?
    I told him I dont have to have it.. he said if i mowed for him I needed workmans comp...
    ( im a solo that avgs 15 to 25 annual accounts )
    I told him what I charge and he balked- I told him I did only High quality work and I cherry pick my property.
    Said he had a lot of property to have dont that he even supply some equiptment..lol... sounded desparate to me; looking to take advantage of some lawn care guys.
    Are any of you guys in bed with home builders?

2. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

Run for the hills. I have cut and plowed for builders and it takes forever and maybe a few threats to get paid. I will never do it again.

3. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Builders are just like customers, some are better than others.
    You'll learn whom to deal with and whom to avoid.

4. Allstar Lawns Inc.

Allstar Lawns Inc. LawnSite Member

Fortunately Ive got a pretty good relationship with a rather large residential home builder. I cut between 60 - 70 spec houses bi-weekly in 6 differant subdivisions. I also cut all of the subdivision entrances. Most of these houses have been sitting for over a year. We fax in the invoice on friday and get paid the following friday. Never missed a check so far. Only bad part is they discontinue cuts at the end of September. At least all of my other accounts are on levelized billing.