workman's comp ins sucks

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by birddseedd, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Yep same here I got refund for last year since the payroll was less due to the drought got 1400 back but I'll stick that away it will go back up after next Audit

2. SRT8

SRT8 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CA

I pay almost 11% , and i have on average 25 employees. Workers comp shouldnt be bad at all if you are accounting for it when estimating jobs.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

It is painfully higher, but it hurts even more when the guy next door in CT is paying 1/2 my rate....

I agree, it is part of doing business, it is figured in to our labor burden (among other things that labor is associated with) so it will be accounted for when we do costing.

4. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Why do you need WC if you are exempt and have no employees?

5. birddseedd

birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member

doing a bid for a corporate account that requires it. they also require doubling my liabilitity. thankfully thats only a 15 dollar difference

6. G-Chop

G-Chop LawnSite Member

What companies are you all using for worker's comp? I just got 2 bids and they were at 35%. I tried Hartford and our state fund. Everything I researched showed I should be paying around 10%. Any help would be appreciated!

7. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Ours is through Paychex.

8. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

I would submit the bid with the explanation that being you are legally operating exempt by state laws that you will not incur the expense for WC just to submit a bid. However if they are to grant you the bid you will gladly meet their requirement to have WC and incur the expense as part of servicing their account.

9. birddseedd

birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member

i must have said that wrong. they did not want me to have it just to do the bid. but if the bid was accepted, which it was not, i would then have to get it.

10. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Sounds like you classified them as landscaping. The quotes I was getting at first was because I miss classified my guys with that. We seldom if ever plant anything or do hardscaping. We are a lawncare company and the rates for mowing are much lower then the rates for a company that uses skid steers and plants trees and such.