Workmans comp insurance ?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by TMlawncare, Aug 6, 2004.

1. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I hired my first part time employee and am looking into workmans comp ins. The ins agecy told me that based on 6000.00 per year my premium would be right over $1100. That is one sixth of his pay rate. Is this right? What have all of you found out dealing with this?

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

what type of work they will be doing has a lot to do with it. Ask them to check out the different categories for rates. You should only be paying somewhere between $360 and $800 for that salary

3. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Ditto what tiedeman said. What's the law in your state? In Virginia you're not required to carry workmans comp until you have 4 employees, I think.

4. TMlawncare

I was thinking around 300 to 600 but 1100 is crazy. The employee will be spending about 90% of his time on a mowing crew. 10% on shrub main. No pest. apps.

5. TMlawncare

As for the law in the state of Missouri, I have yet to find it in all the employment literature. Even if the state doesn't require it I thought is would be wise. However 1100 per 6000 I don't know.

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Average I say for that wage is about $480. I am basing that on 8 dollars per 100 of payroll

7. TMlawncare

Thanks guys for your quick responses. I always wondered where all that profit keeps going, its becoming more clear.

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We pay $3.39 per $100 of payroll here.

That is because we are catergorized as "mowing" vs. "landscaping which is up around $11 per $100. Sounds to me like your insurance agent has you in the lanscaping category instead of mowing...speak to him and straighten things out IMO.

9. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

Ya I agree, I believe mine is $4.19 on the hundred. Make sure its for the mowing, there was 2 differant codes that the agent told me about.

10. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I bet your agent quoted that rate based on minimum annual payroll of $25,000. Get all the facts from your agent and report back - also get the name of the carrier too.