workman's comp

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Brendan Smith, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

several people have mentioned to me that you can get a "ghost" policy if you are the only employee since the ins. companies know you aren't going to sue yourself. anyone heard of this?

2. cpritch

cpritch LawnSite Member

My understanding of Worker's Comp for a solo operator is this:

You pay half price (which in KS is $750.00) and this gives you a certificate saying that you have basically "opted out" of worker's comp. You will get audited at the end of the year and if you can show you didn't have any employees, you will get a percentage of that money back.

Unless you are going to be doing work for builders/sub contractors, my insurance agent told me that I didn't need to get worker's comp as long as I have a very good Liability policy. BUT, if you are going to be working with new construction/Builders, they will require you to have it - well, at least that's the way it is here.

3. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

Around here solo opps don't need to have any comp. They can "opt out" of it and therefore it costs nothing. To get comp for a solo op is something I would not recommend. I would say to get a good health insurance policy, and a disability policy. They should be cheaper, and more friendly.