Workmans Comp

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Kingram10, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Kingram10

Kingram10 LawnSite Member
    from Arizona

So far I have been working solo ,but if the buis keeps growing I may need to hire someone.What does it cost a month for workman's comp insurance .
    Also whats is the starting pay for hired help?

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

WC rates go by state and classification/category of work.

Labor rates for hired help are even more fluctual by state.

3. Kingram10

from Arizona

Thanks for the reply but that is real vague.Lets try NJ and the type of work would be lawncare/Landscaping.

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Why not try Arizona? I saved you the trouble of looking it up, just fill in the blanks and get your cost.

http://www.workerscompensation.com/insurance/ins_info.php

What ever you decide it to be, and can find someone willing to work for that amount

5. Kingram10

from Arizona

thanks ,I may need to use that in the future. How about a average hourly amount, I'm guessing $8.00 a hr.

6. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sure if you can get good LEGAL help to work for 8 bucks an hour. We start laborers out at 15 an hour.

Other employer related responsibilities and regulatory bodies to look into, you're state department of employment security, aka unemployment.

Get a FEIN number from the IRS, if you're state has a state income tax, get set up with the state boys. A good accountant would be you're best bet when you decide to hire employee's, he can set you up with all the gov. agency's,both fed and state.