Workmans Comp

Discussion in 'Employment' started by cutman2000, Aug 20, 2012.

1. cutman2000

cutman2000 LawnSite Member

My state informed me that I do not need workmans comp. if I have under 4 employees. Will I be ok without it?

2. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

No.

You will NOT be fine.

3. cutman2000

explain,...

4. LwnmwrMan22

Will you write the check when an employee blows out an eye.

What about if an employee throws out their back is on disability for 3 years?

5. cutman2000

I talked with state workers comp dept here. They said that I could not be sued for workers comp.(if I had under 4 employees) That their(employees) claims against me would be deny if I didn't have workers comp.

6. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Did you talk to a lawyer? If you worked for someone, a rock hit you and blinded you and you lost x amount of income and then add medical bills/and all other monthly bills on top of that what would you do? I'd find a good lawyer and I'd sue you and the guy who told you that you didn't need to insure your help.

7. LwnmwrMan22

I think you misunderstood the state rep.

Of course the work comp claim would be denied if you didn't have work comp insurance.

Sit down at the dinner table and ask yourself "self, if one of my mowers blows an engine and the rod goes through the operators back and causes his lung to collapse, will my operator sue me, or will he just go on with life and not be able to work, while having $100's of thousands of medical bills?"

When you're set to come up with the wrong answer to that question, how much do you think you'll have to pay in lawyers fees when the civil suits start?

Insurance is only expensive until you need it. Would you drive your truck without vehicle insurance or operate without liability insurance?

8. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

My company, a partner and I...the two of us do not have WC, but our employee does. As an owner you are not required.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. cutman2000

Then why are they telling me that It's(workers comp) not needed unless I have 4 or more employees?
    I do have general liability. I know it covers damage or job site accidents, will it cover employee accidents and injuries?

10. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

General liability does not cover injuries to employees.
    Posted via Mobile Device