1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Workmans Comp

Discussion in 'Employment' started by cutman2000, Aug 20, 2012.

1. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

We decided to go through paychex, no upfront bill and W/C is taken out every pay period based on payroll so no estimating wages for the year.

2. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I would likely go that route too if I did not do Payroll inhouse through QB and my accountant gave me a key off her subscription.

Paychex is a nice company. Located in Irving Texas the last time I looked. They should be able to save some money for a lot of folks...

3. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

Owners can be covered if they want, but in most states it is not required the same as it is for employees. Most insurance companies charge a higher rate for coverage of the owners of smaller businesses. This is because the employer is more likely to know how the system works and has a high probability of manipulating the system or filing false claims. I have to pay the extra to have myself covered by WC as we do a lot of sub contract work on new construction jobs, most contractors will require all subs to carry their own WC

4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

This is correct, owners can opt out or choose to pay in...this is in GA.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Duekster

from DFW, TX

I think as an owner I would rather invest the money in a Health Care plan.

I saw somew low rates. I think my WC rate is 4.5/100 and knock on wood, no claims since we started in 2005

6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I would also like to invest my SS withholdings myself as well.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Duekster

from DFW, TX

Insurance and Government make far more than I do off my company.