1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Workmans Comp

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jamesgateslandscaping, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Jamesgateslandscaping

Jamesgateslandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Im a small company, I have about 2-3 employees which are seasonal and make no more than 3K/year (Im still in school and can't take on to much). Do I need workmans comp for employees that are between 16-18 years of age and make only that much?
  2. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

Yes you need workers comp no matter how old or how much they make. If they are employees you will also have to pay their Social Security, Medicare, etc., and pay their federal and state taxes that you take out of their checks. Call your state or visit their website to get more information. It is a pain and an expense to add employees and do it legally. good luck
  3. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Yes you need it. Not only is it the legal way to do biz, but its also the responsible thing to do for your employees. Even if they are part-timers, they could cut off a hand or foot...lose an eye....at least they would have something for their injury.
  4. Green Earth

Green Earth LawnSite Member

It is based on your payroll. Its also a great tax write off for your business !
  5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

If you have less than 3 employees its not required, but its a good idea. But thats in FL, and I think it varies for state to state.

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

same here in missouri lawnman
  7. Green lawns

Green lawns LawnSite Member

Don't run your business without it. If you have employee's you must have insurance. Worker comp. and with hold all payroll taxes for each employee. I use ADP for our payroll service.
  8. Jamesgateslandscaping

Jamesgateslandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys, my payroll will be between 12-15K this year for all of my employees, How much am I looking at in cost? I want everything to be legal, I dont want to be a low baller :eek:
  9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Once again it will vary from state to state but it would be about $1300 for the year in FL.
  10. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

A great tax write off is when you receive something in return that is tangible. Workers comp is needed to protect you and your people.