workmens comp ins

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by lawnman20, Mar 30, 2003.

1. lawnman20

lawnman20 LawnSite Member

can any one plz tell me how much it should be and what is the start up cost for it thanks Gene

2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Depends on your state. I think Im paying 9.50 per $100. There were no additional startup costs.

3. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

I use a temp service. They handle all my headaches. 4.00 hr on top of the pay rate.

4. lavan

lavan LawnSite Member

it is kinda time consuming and streesful but when we applied for workmens compensation it took almost 30-45 days to get. it is also costly but once you get it you will not have that problem any more. your premium will be adjusted every year to your gross.

5. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

It is based on your payroll. I think it is $9.50 per $100 of payroll. You can also opt to exclude yourself from the policy. Like lavan said, you will be audited every year and they will adjust your premium according to how much your payroll was for the prior year.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Some states (NJ does) has a separate category for lawn mowing companies and then another category for landscapers. If you can, file under lawn mowing cause it is much less expensive.

7. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

just got a quote today, 4.19 on the hundred. plus a $225.00 charge, so say on a 10,000.00 wage it would be 644.00

8. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

here too, Think he said 4.19 for mowing and 7.50 for landscaping. This is for Michigan. Plus that 225.00 charge, can't remember what that was for, probably profit for them. :)

9. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

Virginia is the same way, alot more people must get hurt doing landscaping.

10. lawnman20

lawnman20 LawnSite Member

Wriken what inc company is that with i am from troy mich thanks for the help