Worldlawn setting standard for small walk technology

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dishboy, Jan 28, 2011.

1. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

http://www.worldlawnpowerequip.com/products_32.asp

First with a timed blade 28" and now offering a timed blade 32"

If anybody has ever operated a timed blade walk , the advantages are huge in QOC and mulching ability. Perhaps the big manufactures will stop letting bean counters dictate mower design when they start loosing market share. I see a new 32" timed mower to join my homemade 42" timed deck walk on my trailer this year.

2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Are these the new cheaper mowers everyone is talking about in the other thread. I looked at the site and they actually offer a 60" ZTR that goes the norm 10MPH. If they are that much cheaper I would buy a few only if the dealer support is there. I think cut quality may be an issues compard to an Exmark or Scag.

3. dishboy

from zone 6

Your right, a staggered blade design can't compete with the QOC of timed blade mowers for many reasons. By design the Skagg or Exmark will be inferior. A staggered blade deck will cut at different heights on uneven ground because it has too. This is a design defect that becomes a big issue at short cutting heights or on dense turf that is not pool table level.

4. TheOctagon

TheOctagon LawnSite Senior Member

I must be blind. Where does it talk about the timed blades? Curious how they went about it.

5. dishboy

from zone 6

6. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

So what happens when you hit a object with a mower blade? The timing belt jumps and blades hit each other and parts get distroyed? Blades moving as fast as they do cause a lot of damage quick.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. sedge

sedge LawnSite Fanatic

I don't care who makes it, how great a cut it is, if it ain't a hydro, it blows.

8. TheOctagon

TheOctagon LawnSite Senior Member

i worked on an ariens tractor mower recently that had a timed 42" deck. Looks like a very similar setup. I think the drive belt is designed to slip before the timing belt. not 100% sure on that but it seems like the logical way to have it. Kinda neat though to see some more use of timed decks.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We ran the Troy Bilt with timed blades for several years and didn't tear up anything. It was a mulch only deck and gave a good cut on souther grasses.

10. twcw5804

twcw5804 LawnSite Senior Member

#3 in 24hours.