Worm Bin

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by FOL, Apr 29, 2009.

1. FOL

FOL LawnSite Member

Does anyone have any pics or suggestions of different worm bins that are practical for a backyard type set up? I want to build a flow through bin. Any suggestions anybody.

Thanks.

2. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Here you go, great company for help with compost. Worm (Red Wiggler) or traditional 2:1ratio composting. www.4seasongreenhouse.com
    Any questions just ask them, they will help you and I can as well. They have some of the best bins for vermicompost. Also you could go with www.wormswrangler.com

3. Song Bird

Song Bird LawnSite Member

http://www.acmewormfarm.com/wormbins.html

An idea to make your own.
    http://www.digitalseed.com/composter/vermicomposting.html

I made a homemade flow through bin. I did it differntly than the idea on the web site. It worked ok. I like a container or box style bin better. I know they are more work cleaning out the old stuff but they work better for me. I found at least with my homemade flow though bin it dried out faster than my container one's. But it does work and may people have them and love them. Good luck.

4. FOL

FOL LawnSite Member

I am thinking it needs to be bigger, but I will be building myself so some DIY pics would be great if anyone would like to share.

5. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Your worm bin should be at most 6 inches in height for each stack. These worms live near the surface. Too deep and they will be harmed.

6. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

ha ha ha thats funny. FOL post the pic I just sent you...............

7. FOL

FOL LawnSite Member

YOUR BACK :clapping::clapping::clapping:

8. treegal1

yes I am back, family sucks, and divorce is even worse...

did you get the pic I text-ed you, if so post it....

oh and diy worm bins dont get painted, it just falls off and contaminates the casts, yes even powder-coat...

or you can use stainless.........................

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  9. FOL

FOL LawnSite Member

This is more like it. Thanks guys.

Worm bin.JPG

10. treegal1

oh shite, no image of the scraper on the floor, or is it a moving floor. thats tony from north lake in the pic with me, lurker full time, maybe one day he will chime in.....

if your metal handicapped I sell them, thats # 23