Worm Bin

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by FOL, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

So how many years do you get out of that plywood before it falls apart?

2. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

well thanks for asking, so far some have seen 4 years use. the thing of it is that the worms seem to suck the wood rot off the stuff before it has a chance to rot and farther, but dont take my word, try and put a broccoli stem in a real active worm bin and watch what happens, like a miracle no rot and some have grown roots..........

I have a plastic side board that adds 300$ and the stainless ones are about 7200$ in that size

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I will assume here it is 1/2" exterior grade ACX? Have you tried lining it with cheap plastic?

4. treegal1

15/16 bcx/E with no formaldehyde[sp] in the wood..... the plastic traps water and it turns to stink/rot.......

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

drill some holes in the ply to vent???????????????/

6. treegal1

90$ in ply every 3 years or just spend the 300$ on used milk jugs pressed in panel's????thats as far as i have gotten

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Interesting use for used milk jugs. :) Have you tried any waterproofing products? A marine grade teak oil might preserve that wood for a good deal longer.

8. treegal1

oh god now you killed my friend the teak tree:cry::cry: for now i will just rape the forests that are not old growth from the 13 southern and call it a day, or take the trash out of the land fill.......................

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Doesn't have to be teak oil, that is just what popped into my head. Any waterproofing product should help extend the life of the wood, biggest question is if a particular product would affect your worms or not.

10. treegal1

maybe this fall i will try some bee's wax that lasts for years in a toilet gasket...........