1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Worm Casings

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Pistol, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Pistol

Pistol LawnSite Member

I reworked my lawn about a week ago (killed it, dethatched it, slit seed it). I put out a bag of Scotts Organic Fert, but I'm wondering if I need to put out some worn casings. How do I apply this? Do they smell? Am I too late? Thanks for the great site! Pistol
  2. Pistol

Pistol LawnSite Member

Wal-Mart has small 10# bags. Where else should I look? Thanks again, Pistol:dizzy:

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Google it to find a local supply
  4. TF PLUS

TF PLUS LawnSite Member

Hi Pistol,
    I ordered 2 tons of pure worm castings, no smell, can throw them out by hand. Found it near impossible to apply with a broadcast spreader (landscapes to large to wait till casting dry out. They are 40 to 45% moisture content. Even added corn meal with casting). I was trying to apply at a rate of 20 to 40 pounds of casting per 1000 sqft of entire landscape root zone, every 3 to 4 months. I have large hands and lots of 5 gallon buckets. I ordered a proper spreader.
  5. gatorwoman

gatorwoman LawnSite Member

Hey Tom...
    Gatorwoman here...good to see you are finally jumping right in about your business. As you know I'm a big supporter of your organic way of lawn care. Have to keep the gators and all the other wildlife in my little vista of life happy...
  6. TF PLUS

TF PLUS LawnSite Member

Greetings Gatorwoman
    Nice to see you out of the swamp. There must be loads of freshwater worm castings near the bank of your swamp. A healthy Eco-Swamp is important.
    Take care,