worm casting tea

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Chris Burisek, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Chris Burisek

Chris Burisek LawnSite Member

Does anyone have a worm farm or brew their own worm casting tea for use on lawns and landscapes? If you have any pics/videos or ideas to share I would love to hear/read about them. I have seen some homeowner models online but would like to know about larger scale farms or brewers. I would like to try to start with something homemade before dropping thousands on a worm farm and them more on the brewer. I saw a great worm farm unit for about $5,000.00 and the brewers for $3,000 and up. I don't want to drop that kind of $ yet. I have some tank sprayers (100, 175, and 200 gal each with 250 ft of hose and spray gun) I would like to set these up to spray worm casting tea on residential lawns.

2. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

As far as the brewer goes, look into Tim Wilson's Microbulator 50, which can be found at www.microbeorganics.com. It's a 50 gallon brewer which goes for around 500 shipped if you don't need a 55 gallon drum/barrel. We switched over to 2 actually, and the results through the scope have been great so far. Tim also gives his recipes and is a somewhat regular contributor on here.

As far as the worms, Tim, treegal and a few others can weigh in on the worm farms.

3. growingdeeprootsorganicly

growingdeeprootsorganicly LawnSite Senior Member

i'll second that on tims brewer..

for the money it can't be beat as well tim can provide great support

if you buy a brewer, buy it from some one who will give good support when issues come up.

4. tadhussey

tadhussey LawnSite Senior Member

Hey, just FYI, we'll be offering Tim's brewer in the next month or so also, and will be adding a tank option for people who don't already have one. I've got his brewing system at my place right now, just need to get a tank so I can get it up and running to test it with our Pro Kits (haven't you done a bit of that already Natty Lawn?).

It's hard to compete with it in terms of cost, when our cost of materials on our brewers well exceeds $500, and we're selling our 28 gal. brewing system for $1,650. (of course, ours is much prettier! :) (that comment is for Tim if he ever reads this thread)

~Tad

5. tadhussey

I would recommend finding a good local source of worm casting initially that has done biological testing on their product (I've seen significant differences biologically on worm castings from different suppliers). Then, you could get a brewer and start spraying before investing in a worm farm. Worm farms take a bit of time and if you're just looking for material to spray with, you don't need very much, relative to the amount of tea you'll be brewing. For example, in a 55 gallon brewer, you're looking at around 2 gallons of total compost....not all that much material, it just needs to be high quality!

6. Chris Burisek

tad
    you said in a 55 gal brewer I'll need around 2 gallons of total compost... is that 2 gal of worm castings? I'm new to the worms so sorry. I need to get my info correct.
    What type of sprayers are some of you using to get this product to the lawn/plant? I would like to do this on lawns of about 5,000sq ft on up.
    Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  7. growingdeeprootsorganicly

growingdeeprootsorganicly LawnSite Senior Member

i use between 4-6 litters of compost depending on food added and temp's for 50g brews

chris,
    preferred setup is a diaphragm pump"more gpm the better" and as big a tank as possible, but there are many ways to get tea applied
    you will need to spray at very low presser so not to harm biology

8. tadhussey

Chris,

You're correct, 2 gallons of compost/worm castings/thermal compost. We use a combination of 3 composts to maximize our biological diversity, however that is not necessary.

As for sprayers, I attached a photo our our spray rig.

~Tad

Attached Files:

9. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Tad,

We use a 55 gallon drum and have brewed using the pro kits in the bag and in free suspension. I prefer free suspension, but you do have to filter out some of the small pine cones and larger wood pieces over 1 inch by 1 inch to avoid potential clogging issues.

10. Chris Burisek

Ok great... you have the brewer, when it's ready how do you get it into the spray rig? Do you pump it to your sprayer? Then do you add more water or is it only the tea that you put into the sprayer? How much tea are you using per 1,000 sq ft. Our lawns are about 5,000 sq ft here. How many lawns do you do each day or would you like to do?
    Thanks for all of the great info.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008