1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by carlsmower, Sep 23, 2000.

1. carlsmower

carlsmower LawnSite Member

i have a major worm problem on one of the lawns that i care for, really making a mess out of the yard. i have tried a couple of things to get rid of them but no success, anyone have any experience in this area, tips?
    thanks in advance for your help.

the worms are great for the soil, but they are alway raising up and leaving bumps everywhere, this particular lawn is mowed down to about 3/4 of an inch so your see all little dirt spots, also very rough

[Edited by carlsmower on 09-23-2000 at 04:30 PM]
  2. jason2

jason2 LawnSite Member

How are they making a mess? I am probably missing something here, but I've always thought that worms are an excellent sign. The more worms the healthier the soil. Earthworms help prevent soil compaction along with other benefits. Worms are a sign of a soil rich with organic material.
  3. Jerrys Lawn Service

Jerrys Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I had a worm problem in my yard two years ago, the following
    season I had the best looking lawn ever, those worms are
    depositing soil castings, what you referred to as bumps.
    This is helping feed the lawn, because of all the organic matter the worms are sturring up,so let them be.

Good Luck!
  4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Think of the worms as core aeration workers. And their doing it for free! :)
  5. Stinger

Stinger LawnSite Senior Member

You say 3/4 of an inch cut? I don't think my deck goes that low. Try raising up your cut by 1/2 a inch. Maybe that will help hide your problem. Worms are great for the soil like everyone has previously said.
  6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

If its that big a problem,send the worms to me,Ill pay the shipping,you got the best soil around and the humps bother you.If you are cutting the lawn at 2-31/2 like it should be then I doubt you'llseethem.