Worn belt or clutch??

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by PTOhioMower, Apr 13, 2006.

1. PTOhioMower

PTOhioMower LawnSite Member

I have a 2003 Exmark TThp and the blade speed surges up and down. Also when cuttin VERY thick tall grass the blades almost stop. I can feel the belt slip a little when I engage the blades. So im guessing it needs a new belt but could the clutch be going bad?

I have never changed a deck belt, but Im guessing that it isnt too difficult.

Thanks in advance!!!

2. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

Yes , sure sounds like it is your deck belt. And yes they are easy to change out. Your deck might even have the pattern on it or just refer to the good ol' manual and it will for sure have it in there. How many hours are on that belt?

3. PTOhioMower

I dont know, I bought it used. But I would guess it has quite a few on it.

4. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

You might just have to put more tension on the belt by making a few adjustments. The belt might be fine and so might the clutch. If you have never tightened the belt, it is more than likely just streched and is now too loose.

5. PTOhioMower

I didnt know I could adjust it, Thanks!! I hope that is all it needs.

6. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Check the manual if you have one for it. It will tell you exactly where to look and what to do. Otherwise just look for something obvious regarding the belt for the blades as I am not familar with your exact mower.