Worn out tires. Scam?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Johnson LCO, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Johnson LCO

Johnson LCO LawnSite Senior Member

I am thinking about buying a used walk behind mower from a very small dealer of used equipment. It is an exmark viking hydro with 500 hours on the meter for a very good price, in the 1500 range. It has a digital meter that is working. What worries me is that the rear tires are bald. They have another mower like this with around 500 hours and bald rear tires. My boss's scag has about 500 and the tires are nowhere near bald. This amount of wear seems unusual along with the cheap price, and I suspect the hour meter may have been tampered with. What do you think? Is this amount of wear unusual?

2. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

Go with your gut filling, but I have seen tires wore out in 500hrs. people over look tires in the fact of taking care of them, EX. no turning on asphalt or cement if possible. But again if you are uneasy SAY AWAY!!, Another deal WILL come along! later

3. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

low tire pressure, abuse (turning on concrete/asphalt), sulkies (extra weigh on rear of mower) will all cause extra wear.

4. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had some tires last an entire season (we cut 160+ lawns per crew per week). I've had others last a couple of months. There are a lot of variables. Don't use the tires as an indication of the hours/use of the mower. That's a poor indicator. Look at the rest of the mower - does it look like it has 500 hrs on it? Or does it look like it has 1500 hours on it? How's the paint? How dirty is the engine? How are the spindles? Do the hydro motors whine? Etc...

Good luck

5. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

if its had a velky on it it will wear the tires faster.

6. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I have seen many hour meters take a dive...chances are its not the original hour meter. Its the one piece of equipment that I wish worked flawlessly and never went bad. But they go bad and they get replaced and no one makes note of the hours from the first hour meter If got scags and we drive from around on the road and sidewalks here on campus to get from point a-b and I've never had any bald tires in 500 hours.

7. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Viking and the tires wore out before that,

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

With most anything used, be it cars, houses, equipment, the responsibility for the initial upkeep falls on the buyer, it is not at all unusual for things such as tires needing replacing.

As for the hours, it has a fair lot on it, 500 hours in my neck of the woods is anywhere from 1,000 to 1,500 maybe even 2-3,000 lawns cut, we're talking 2-4 years in that sense, not at all unusual they'd be worn, might only be 2-plys or turf savers to begin with.

1500 for that kind of machine is about the going rate, being that it's a hydro, even thou I am pretty sure it is well above blue book.
    I don't like that part either but it's not a terrible price, I think they run dang near 4g new, it'd be nice if it came with a velke thou.

9. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I've bought pairs of the same tires for the same mower and had lifespans all over the place. There seems to be a significant amount of fluctuation in rubber quality...

10. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know I have the toro which is eaxactly the same minus hand controls and I have over 2000 hrs on mine and the tires are still good. I had a hustler 54" though that would go through tires every year with only 6-800 hrs on it.