1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Worn spindles???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dfor, Jun 15, 2001.

1. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 2000 54" Bunton hydro walk-behind. When I engage the blades real slow, I can see that one of the spindles doesn't spin in a perfect circle. Must be either bent or the bearings are wearing out. They are greasless spindles, by the way. It's not real bad but enough to notice. Is this something that would affect the cut very much?? It hasn't been cutting that well the past couple weeks.
  2. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Sound like you answered your own question! :D I would take it to the dealer.
  3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

you have a problem! you need to fix it! this could be very dangerous if you don't!

be safe!

4. Jerrys Lawn Service

Jerrys Lawn Service LawnSite Member

dfor, We just had our first bearing go bad this year . It started with some vibration then it got worse untill you could smell them . At the end of the day we took a look and you could move the whole spindle back and forth. The good news is Snapper covered it.

Good Luck!
  5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Grab each end of the blade and rock it back and forth (engine and blades off of course) If you can rock it, the bearings are shot. You may have a bent spindle also as this would cause the wobble. Also, if Bunton uses cast iron pullies, sometimes the castings aren't just right and if you look at it, it looks like its wobbling. They are cast, machined and then balanced by drilling small holes either on the inside of the "V" or underneaththe pulley itself. What I'm getting at is, it may look all wobbley, but it is infact running true. Another test would be to remove all blades, start engine, engage.....spindles and actually look closer to see just what is wobbling. Just be carefull as the belts are very dangerous as well.

Good luck