Worse productivity killer, Texting or Smoking

Discussion in 'Employment' started by lawncuttinfoo, Jun 23, 2011.

Worse productivity killer, Texting or Smoking?

1. Texting

45 vote(s)
  2. Smoking

14 vote(s)
  1. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

I vote for smoking, you can make rules that say no texting on the job. God forbid you tell a smoker no smoking on the job.

Hell has no fury like a smoker warned.
  2. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

"I need a cigarette dude, you have no right to tell me I can't smoke"
  3. Showpropserv

Showpropserv LawnSite Member
    from mn

wheres C. lunch:laugh:
  4. Winnipeg Lawns

Winnipeg Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Paying by the hour.
  5. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

No smoking on my sites period. No personal electronics use period. It's all in the contract that they sign. If they can't play by the company rules, they can go play some-where else. Exclamation Mark!
  6. lukemelo216

lukemelo216 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ...

I dont care about smoking on my sites unless if a customer specifically asks that we dont. I only have one guy that does smoke and usually we are mowing lawns. He only has maybe 3-4 cigs in an 8-10 hour day, and he doesnt stop to smoke. If we ar cutting a big place and hes mowing he will have one or when he is blowing the grass off. But thats it. He really doesnt grasp texting so that doesnt hurt me. If he were stoping and not working to have a cig then I would have a problem, but i never even notice it that hes having one.
  7. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Texting you have to divert your attention away from the job to engage with someone not on company time. Thats a big no no.

Smoking. Smoke all you want, just dont stop work to do it. And if you encounter a customer, put it out. And no butts on the ground.

Some people act like its this big taboo thing.
  8. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

same way I see it.
  9. Brothersllc

Brothersllc LawnSite Member

Dam i wish i had yalls employees i got three guys and there alwas smoking cigs or a joint and texing or talkn lol good luck finding some one whos guna work 10 a hour and not do this
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. lukemelo216

lukemelo216 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ...

Actually its not that hard to find people like that, you just need to have a good interview process, and not ask questions like can you operate a string trimmer. Even basic laborers get asked questions that make them really think, and you learn a lot from them. then after the fact you need to make sure your a boss and not a friend. I am a friend to my employees and we will talk and goof around and stuff, but when they arent working up to par, they hear about it. lastly if they are smoking weed on a job, they are gone. What they do outside of work isnt my business, but they most certinaly arent smoking that on the job site.