Worse thing you ever hit while mowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CNE, Apr 20, 2004.

1. CNE

CNE LawnSite Member

I was mowing a regular client's lawn last year and his new neighbor (house had been empty for quite sometime) walked over and asked how much I would charge to mow his lawn, ride only, no trim. It was about 6 inches high and he wanted me to mow it as low as possible. Keep in mind now, this is not the customer that cares about his lawn, he just didn't have anything to knock it down with. I told him it would look bad but that is what he wanted. So, i told him how much, took me all of about 15 minutes because if he didn't care how it looked when I was done, I sure as hell didn't. During the mowing, I'm going along and WHAM!!! out of the chute flies a fiberglass handle off of a claw hammer. I just knew I'd tore something up. I also saw a peice of plate steel about 4" by 6" and 1/4 inch thick in a spot I had already mowed. I'm glad I didn't suck that up. I never found the hammer head but took him the handle and said "I found your hammer" He appoligized and said one of his grandkids must have left it out there. Ruined a brand new set of blades. They costed as much as I charged him to mow it. He asked me again later to mow it and I told him not unless you walk around and pick up everything.

2. HustlerZman

HustlerZman LawnSite Member

A peice of 3/4" rebar stuck in the ground! Yea tough on blades..

3. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

nothing (so far), i keep my eyes open.

4. vadeere

vadeere LawnSite Member

Not the biggest, but the only one I can think of is when I have hit golf balls. They either fly forever or make a he// of a sound going into the bagger.

5. CNE

CNE LawnSite Member

Yeah Trevor, I keep mine open too but it's hard to do when the grass was 6 inches high. I should have never mowed it in the first place but the man was disabled and all he has is a push mower to use. The grass was like that when he moved in.

6. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

One of those steel screw in anchors that they use to secure phone poles. They apparently removed the surrport wire, but not the anchor. It was about 4' high and was cutting at 3.5' Had a brand new Ariens 911 21" mower ( about 7 bills) and this was the first peoperty I used it on. Had to replace the engine because it bent the shaft. I think that was the angriest I've ever been.

7. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

big piles of crap

8. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Passenger door of my truck:eek: Totaled the door ... the person working with me didnt close it all the way and it swung open right as i was coming by..I tried to close it quick but hit the forward lever with my arm and bent it back the wrong way.

9. CNE

CNE LawnSite Member

yeah, nothing like hitting a big steamy pile of dog crap. Especially if you run over it with the tire, then it stays with you.

10. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

A 12" spike and bounced it right into the middle of the windshield of a new GMC 2500 at the dealership that I mow for. Never saw it, have no clue where it came from. I've been mowing that lawn for 7 years, still don't know where it came from.