1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Worst Accident

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walker/redmax, Jun 14, 2007.

1. walker/redmax

walker/redmax LawnSite Senior Member

What is the worst accident that you have ever had on the job? There have been a couple of threads about rollovers on Zs that have kind of got me thinking a little bit more about safety. I've been fortunate enough to never have anything serious happen to me but I know that its not that uncommon. Anyone out there with 9 fingers because of reaching under a mower deck ect. I know that I am guilty of doing this while the engine is running. Which is obviously a big no no and something that I am definitely going to make an effort to stop doing. So whats the worst?
  2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

About 10 years ago, I cut my knee with a chainsaw while taking down a tree.
    Never felt it, it happened so quick, but noticed the left leg of my blue jeans was cut. When I took a close look, I could clearly see my kneecap. I nearly passed out, but since I was out by myself, I knew I had to keep myself together and drive to the hospital. It took 14 stitches to close the wound.
    That is my worst accident to date.
  3. johnnywill08

johnnywill08 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA z6

my friend was limbing up some trees, i was dragging the brush from underneath- guess what happened..... 8 ft limb came straight down like a spear... someone yelled "heads up" so i covered my head with my (thankfully) left hand. well that didn't do $hit... went right through the hand (obliterating it) and opened a 4" diameter horseshoe in my head.

i was taken to mass. genral where a bad ass doc put the hand back together (out of like three pieces of bone and lots of rods and pins), put 40 stitches in my head and 6 months later i was pretty much fine.

i call it my million dollar injury because i took the check from the insurance co. for "disfigurement & loss of function" 9which actually wasn't that bad... and started my own landscape company.... 5 years in and i'm doin pretty good....
  4. F.S Lawn Care

F.S Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Today I came the closest to a bad injury while mowing with my belt driven. I was on a steep hill and I missed some grass when I turned, so I tried pulling it up the hill a bit, but it was wet so I slipped. My left foot went under the mower and my boot got a little beat up at the tip. Any further and my foot probably would've been chopped off. I should probably invest in getting safeties for both of my mowers which dont have any.
  5. johnnywill08

johnnywill08 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA z6

that eact thing happened to me once and the 2 seconds between when you're foot goes under to when you take a look at it to check it are basically a mini-heart attack