Worst advice you got from a veteran LCO when starting out.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CharlieBingo, Aug 7, 2005.

1. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

I was told by an LCO veteran "the best machines are 48 inch belt drives simple uncomplicated and cheap!" I now have learned 60 inch walkbehinds and ZTR's make me a lot more money. Another vet told me "you got to be on the job all the time period." I've learned to work on my biz rather than in my biz, works better for me. It's tough for new guys there truly is a lot of bad advice floating around!

2. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

"Take any and all work. " I did that when I started and I drove up to 15 - 20 miles in-between some jobs. Routing is very important to controling costs. You have to know when to say NO Thank You!! to a potential customer.

3. TWUllc

TWUllc LawnSite Senior Member

Sharpen your blades every 3-4 weeks.

4. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

There's no "magic formula" to starting a successful lawn business. There's to many variables. What works for one may not work for another. There are certain universal principles that you can apply but to claim that one particular mower is the best to use anywhere in the country is not good advice.

5. Master Po

Master Po LawnSite Member

Replace your blades every week.

6. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

Send me your old ones i'll sharpen them and use them for several months.

7. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I've had people tell me that striping is a waste of time and looks like crap. man how I'd love to smack those people upside the head.

8. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

It may be good advice for their situation/scenario which just happens to be bad advice for you.

9. Lawn Wolf

Lawn Wolf LawnSite Member
    from 77090

Learn to weed out bad advice. Most important follow your own instict and learn from your mistakes , that's the best advice.

10. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

Take any and all work at any price till you have a full schedule. That was the worst advise I recieved early on.
    I had just read - The E-Myth - and wanted to start acting like a big sucessfull company from the start. I'm so glad I did, by the time my schedule was full it contained only the most profitable work in a fairly tight route. The people that gave me the advise are still willing to fix a fence for $20.00 per hr after doing thier mowing or whatever.