1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

worst case of poison Ivy or Sumac

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by nosparkplugs, Jun 5, 2008.

1. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Man i have got the worst case of either poison ivy, or Sumac. I won't post the pictures LOL, but I have been using the caladryl generic, and benadryl for two days. I'm in misery, a hot show & the wife applying the caladrly is the only relief I have. Friend told me to use PVC Pipe cleaner to stop the weeping, I don't think so:cry::dizzy:. Going to take a benadryl, and pass out here soon gotta bushog in the morning it sucks with the poison Ivy or Sumac.
  2. greenscapestx

greenscapestx LawnSite Member

Fill a sock with starch and pat it on. The starch will dry it out and help with the itching and weeping. Had it so bad once on my stomach, chest and arms I couldn't even get out of bed. The starch trick really helped.
  3. lil_cote_93

lil_cote_93 LawnSite Member
    from ON

Ive had poison ivy for 3 weeks now. Its at one (or more) of my properties and i still cant seem to find it. Today it was 93 out and i had to cut in long pants, and long sleeves
    I have pills, and creme and it wont help because i keeep running into it. Im starting to think the oils are in my work gloves or something....
    anyone have any other solutions.
    Im not loving the green industry currently!
  4. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I had it so bad once that I had a blister from the tip of my pinkie finger all the way down to my hand and then back 3/4 of the way up my ring finger. That sucked. I was on vacation and went to the ER. Doc walked in and right away said "Don't touch me." Got a dose pack. Medrol?, or a Z pack. (cant remember) Its a roid. take 7 the first day, 6 the next, and so on. I could see a difference on the second day. PI sucks. I get it about 10 times a year.
    My regular doc is cool and wrote me a scrip for prednizone with a higher quantity then what I needed so I could save some for the next time I get it. I a few pills for a day or 2 then deal with it. I usually suck up the itching and don't put anything on it unless its on my fingers or behind my knees. Good luck. Hope it clears up for ya soon.
  5. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

Hottest water you can stand for as long as you can stand it will stop it

Pour Bleach on it

When you think you have use some TECNU Scub
  6. Herrick

Herrick LawnSite Senior Member

I've had good luck with ZANFEL. It's about $40 a tube, but it stops the itching within a minute or so, and keeps it from coming back for a good day or so. Also makes it go away a lot faster.
  7. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Don't mess around with "home remmides" when it comes to poison ivy. If you get it bad, go to the Doctor. My leg got infected a couple years ago by trying this and that. Doctor gave me hell and some very good stuff in a tube.
  8. old oak lawn

old oak lawn LawnSite Senior Member

same thing here, doc gave me the same pac. 7 pills the first day and so on. we were cleaning out a mulch bed and got into poison ivy cleaned off after but it was too late. had to go to the ER after 2 days of it i had enouf. started going away day after i took the first set of pills. first time i ever went to the ER with it, but i had it bad. this was 2 weeks ago.
  9. TwistedSister

TwistedSister LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I haven't had it in a while (knock on wood) but when I did get it, I would get it pretty badly. Not as badly as some of you guys have said but still pretty bad. The thing that helped me the most was bleach. I just poored some in a cup and then used a paper towel to rub it on the poison ivy. It really dries it up and makes it go away alot sooner. Dont know how bad it is for your skin though but last time I did it, after the PI was gone, my skin was pure white where I used the bleach and it stayed that way for about a year.:cry: Good luck with it and I hope you feel better soon.
  10. ken gustafson

ken gustafson Inactive

TECNU...cleanser. You may have to apply it a couple of times a few minutes apart and for sure only rinse off in a shower. But it works very...very good. Then Tecnu makes a gel that works fine after you use the gel. These products can be had at most drug stores and maybe even at WalMart. I know what works for me and TECNU is the stuff that takes away the misery. The stuff that attacks the skin is on everything that is close to what you are working on...tools clothes shoes vehicles everything, So a person has to pay attention BIG TIME or you shall be in misery BIG TIME.
    What I do is ....rub the Tecnu in everywhere you can for at least 2 min. and then shower off. Let skin dry...then do it again and I have had to do this as much as 3 times in a row BUT you get relief for 12 to 15 hours and then all you have to do is do it again. I have had poison oak more than I care to admit AND for as long as 4 months at a time...then I was informed of TECNU and it works GREAT.....my input...Ken